lifter tap? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter tap?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Launching!

Default lifter tap?

Raced my father in law the other day and after, I had this taping noise. I did not miss a gear and I was shifting around 6800 rpm. Motor has king bearings, scat rods, mahle pistons, Johnson short travel link bar lifters, custom length manton pushrods, Mamo custom spec cam, Mamo 223 sportsman heads, dual springs, yella terra rockers. The sound seems to be coming from the passenger side. I did remove both valve covers and look at everything, everything looked good. I need to take them off and dig into more. Motor has about 1k miles on top end build and maybe 8k on lower . Yes the valve noise has always been that loud.
caturnbull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
TECH Senior Member

If you mean that sound when you play with the RPM and not the background valve train noise, that almost sounds like something vibrating. The noise doesn't seem to correlate with engine speed, which a lifter would.

There is an EVAP valve on the driver's side right in the middle, is that the source of the noise?

Have you checked with a stethoscope, you can buy one fairly cheap at the auto stores.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Launching!

yes the noise when playing with the rpms. Ill have to check the EVAP valve. You think it would be vibrating against the intake or something? I need to get a stethoscope, I have not checked with that yet. The noise is pretty loud I can hear it eco while driving it and it also seemed to show up once the car was at operating temps. The night it did it, it stopped after I let it cool down and drove it back home. I feel like it could be something vibrating as well, guess I need to get a stethoscope and start looking.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
TECH Addict

!st thing I would look carefully at are the valve springs and check all the push rods for preload. Sounds like something in the valve train just need to find it before it breaks badly.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
Launching!

when you say check push rods for preload, do you mean check for zero lash? when i built the motor every push rod was a custom length to have preload set to johnsons specs, i believe it was around 30.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
TECH Addict

What I meant was be sure the preload hasn't changed drastically on one or 2 valves indicating a big problem with a lifter etc.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
What I meant was be sure the preload hasn't changed drastically on one or 2 valves indicating a big problem with a lifter etc.
What he said!
01CamaroSSTx is online now   Reply With Quote