Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 with GM Performance LS3 heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 with GM Performance LS3 heads

I'm looking at putting a set of the GM Performance LS3 CNC ported heads on my '04 6.0l. They are pretty cheap right now through Summit. I know that I will need a new intake, and my Harland Sharp roller rockers won't work (well the intake rockers anyway...) and probably my new Trick flow pushrods too...Am I opening up a big can of worms..? Is it worth the time/money? It has a thumper cam in it now that I probably will upgrade to something better suited to the heads. I'm just not sure what to do....
Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the L92 heads on my LQ4 build. Heard a lot of good news with the combo.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 538 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by mooseknuckles
I'm looking at putting a set of the GM Performance LS3 CNC ported heads on my '04 6.0l. They are pretty cheap right now through Summit. I know that I will need a new intake, and my Harland Sharp roller rockers won't work (well the intake rockers anyway...) and probably my new Trick flow pushrods too...Am I opening up a big can of worms..? Is it worth the time/money? It has a thumper cam in it now that I probably will upgrade to something better suited to the heads. I'm just not sure what to do....
I'm running Ls3 heads on top of a LS2. Im using factory rocker arms with a trunion upgrade. I would sell the Harland Sharp rockers and get factory rockers and upgrade the trunions. It's easy and cheap. Cheaper than aftermarket rocker arms anyway. On the cam.... I would contact Pat G or Brian Tooley. Ed Curtis is good with rectangular port heads but he can be hard to contact.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the LS3 heads on an LQ4. The compression is too low and the ports are too large. CNC ported LS3 heads are even worse. If you have an LQ4 with the 317 castings, I would stay with the cathedral port heads and find something like a 243/799 or 706/862 casting with smaller chambers.

Quick Reply: LQ4 with GM Performance LS3 heads