Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats left after HCI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tq seems a little low, i have the same w/o heads or cam...

Which gas u are runnin, maybe step up on E85 and made a new tune?

Greetz
Ron
Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Chamboullides
No set plan, it's just today's 500HP is yesterdays 300 just looking to see if there is more left or if its time to hunt down something else for later
On the surface, that seems true, but getting 500rwhp out of a 5.7 NA is really not easy. It always seems like there are more out there than there, because it's the internet. But especially going through a stalled auto, it's just plain hard to do. Now, if you're talking 500 bhp, you might be pretty close factoring in

If your goal is to get into tens, there might be opportunity to work the car instead of the motor and get there through efficiency and effectiveness of the car rather than brute force of the engine.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
Tq seems a little low, i have the same w/o heads or cam...

Which gas u are runnin, maybe step up on E85 and made a new tune?

Greetz
Ron
just run 93. Lot of mixed info and reviews about e85 but I have looked at it.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

E85 is only going to be worth it if your car likes more timing. Some n/a setups make their max power on 93 and therefore really don't benefit much from E85
Old 02-13-2018, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
On the surface, that seems true, but getting 500rwhp out of a 5.7 NA is really not easy. It always seems like there are more out there than there, because it's the internet. But especially going through a stalled auto, it's just plain hard to do. Now, if you're talking 500 bhp, you might be pretty close factoring in

If your goal is to get into tens, there might be opportunity to work the car instead of the motor and get there through efficiency and effectiveness of the car rather than brute force of the engine.
I will always be truthful in the fact that 10’s probably won’t happen with what I have and the budget I want to stay in as well as I like street driving. Mostly I just want to know is it worth trying to spend more money and time on what I have or is it time to make plans in the future for something more. Or am I missing something else to get full use of what I have?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I will always be truthful in the fact that 10’s probably won’t happen with what I have and the budget I want to stay in as well as I like street driving. Mostly I just want to know is it worth trying to spend more money and time on what I have or is it time to make plans in the future for something more. Or am I missing something else to get full use of what I have?
In that case I'd say wait until you do the stall and see if you're still wanting more. After that, cheapest power is nitrous. If you are in the NA is all the yay camp, then start saving for a bigger motor.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
E85 is only going to be worth it if your car likes more timing. Some n/a setups make their max power on 93 and therefore really don't benefit much from E85
E85 is more about the oxygenates than the timing.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
E85 is more about the oxygenates than the timing.
So most of what I’ve read and seen e85 with N/a didn’t really add much of any unless it was high compression or boost. Are you getting different results?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Say you're limited to 26 degrees timing on 93 (because it knocks with any more timing) but your car makes max power on 30 degrees. Well then in a scenario like this E85 could add another 20-25 hp with that extra timing. But if that same car can achieve 30 degrees on pump gas then the gain in very small. One benefit of E85 is that less timing is pulled due to heat and whatnot. So basically some n/a applications will benefit a fair amount and some very little
Old 02-14-2018, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

E85 adds power in NA engines because you can burn more fuel per cycle, giving a net power gain. It’s a slower burning fuel and requires more timing. If you build your motor specifically for e85 you can get a fair bit more power yet because you can crank the compression way up.

Results vary from 10 rwhp up to 25-30 rwhp in modern DI engines
Old 02-14-2018, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

E85 adds power in NA engines because you can burn more fuel per cycle, giving a net power gain. It’s a slower burning fuel and requires more timing. If you build your motor specifically for e85 you can get a fair bit more power yet because you can crank the compression way up.

How about e85 and some 235’s? He be cookin then. Amirite?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
How about e85 and some 235’s? He be cookin then. Amirite?
Cheese and rice that’ll push an LS way into the 5’s!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep get a better stall, Yanks, Circle D, something along those lines, I'm runnig 3600 on my DD and its fun and has decent street manners. The bad thing is you'll get used to it and want more. Call Brute speed and drop a SC in that bitch.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
Yep get a better stall, Yanks, Circle D, something along those lines, I'm runnig 3600 on my DD and its fun and has decent street manners. The bad thing is you'll get used to it and want more. Call Brute speed and drop a SC in that bitch.
Thanks, and I agree!! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-14-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

There is still a lot of optimizing to be done with your setup. If you want dyno numbers or if you want quicker et’s. I’ve been 9.80’s in my car which is a forged ls1 with flattop pistons, tea 243’s and a medium Cam. It takes a lot of dedication and fine tuning to get one there. Or you can go more ci if you want to stay On motor or just go power adder which is what I’m doing.

Side note e85 is your friend. My car runs,smells and goes quicker with e85 and same timing. I’m only a little over 11 to 1 compression. Some dome pistons and more compression will love e85.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

its running 1.79 60'
12.12 1/4
and speed is 112 mph
that's with the smaller converter and 373 gear and a 285 40 18 drag radial
i know tire and converter have a ton to do with it and plan to get something better for tire this year

The converter will help quite a bit. Suspension parts, such as coil-overs, can improve both street driving and performance at the track. If you just keep adding power and don't make the car work you'll always see mediocre results. I think you can go bottom 11s with the power you have and still have something you enjoy to drive.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, if you'd like to consider E85 you might also take a look at methanol injection. With a meth kit you wouldn't have to upgrade your injectors or fuel pump
Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not quite how it works. You NEED to burn more per cycle. E85 contains less energy, pound for pound, than gasonline. So in order to get the same power you have to burn more fuel. The fuel physically cools the combustion chamber and wards off detonation. Very beneficial in high power FI cars. They get to feed tons of cool (cool compared to your car's engine anyway) fuel into their combustion chambers.

In an NA car you can typically add more timing without detonation. That does not guarantee more power though, it often will give a slight bump. It all depends on what the car really wants.

Ever wonder how top fuel dragsters can make 10,000hp with no intercooler and a giant blower? Nitro methane, which has even greater cooling properties than e85 or alcohol.........

Nitro-methane also has a high latent heat of vaporization, meaning that it will absorb substantial engine heat as it vaporizes, providing an invaluable cooling mechanism.

.....if you were feeding a high pressure garden hose of air temp fuel into each of your cylinders the boost would be skys the limit.

Direct Injection cars use the same cooling principle. The gas is injected into the cylinder at high pressure, vaporizes and cools the combustion chamber much more than port injection. This allows the OE's to run higher compression and more timing for more power.

Anyhoo, skip E85. HP is going to come very expensively now NA. 15 yeard ago 450 to the wheels was pretty sick. And so the legendary LS1 earned its place in history. Cam and heads and huge power. Now they are yesterday's hero. Loved by much fewer, but much more.

Throw a procharger on the thing and change from worrying about getting more power to worrying about how to keep your car from exploding.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Not quite how it works. You NEED to burn more per cycle. E85 contains less energy, pound for pound, than gasonline. So in order to get the same power you have to burn more fuel. The fuel physically cools the combustion chamber and wards off detonation. Very beneficial in high power FI cars. They get to feed tons of cool (cool compared to your car's engine anyway) fuel into their combustion chambers.

In an NA car you can typically add more timing without detonation. That does not guarantee more power though, it often will give a slight bump. It all depends on what the car really wants.

Ever wonder how top fuel dragsters can make 10,000hp with no intercooler and a giant blower? Nitro methane, which has even greater cooling properties than e85 or alcohol.........

Nitro-methane also has a high latent heat of vaporization, meaning that it will absorb substantial engine heat as it vaporizes, providing an invaluable cooling mechanism.

.....if you were feeding a high pressure garden hose of air temp fuel into each of your cylinders the boost would be skys the limit.

Direct Injection cars use the same cooling principle. The gas is injected into the cylinder at high pressure, vaporizes and cools the combustion chamber much more than port injection. This allows the OE's to run higher compression and more timing for more power.

Anyhoo, skip E85. HP is going to come very expensively now NA. 15 yeard ago 450 to the wheels was pretty sick. And so the legendary LS1 earned its place in history. Cam and heads and huge power. Now they are yesterday's hero. Loved by much fewer, but much more.

Throw a procharger on the thing and change from worrying about getting more power to worrying about how to keep your car from exploding.
Yes, you need to burn more E85. And it had less energy per unit. But it has so much o2 in it you can burn more units per cycle resulting in a net power gain over pump gas. It works the same way as oxygenated race fuel
Old 02-14-2018, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

The proper stall, suspension and gearing goes along ways. Obviously weight has a lot to do with it.

The first thing that I see isn't your lack of power, it's that 1.79 60 ft. That's what I'd concentrate on. Which your new 9" and stall will go along way, but in the end with a auto at your power level it's all in the 60'. Your power level should easily give you a 60' in the 1.5s and that's mid to low 11s.

My car consistently runs 11s with a 1.58 60' with 321whp. I'm not even full bolt ons. That's with a stock ls1 intake. Others on here have gone faster. I am however full suspension with a lot of time spent on shock settings, pinion angle, lca angle, etc.

But if you look at any of the NA auto cars that put down lower ets than you think they should, take a look at their 60 ft time. They're all dialed in.

Trust me, it's a blast to line up beside a cobra with pulleys putting down 600 whp and cut a .010 light with a 1.5x 60' while they cut a 60 in the 2.0 range. I've outran more than one car in the 8th mile that way... you can make a little money because no one expects you to outrun their 600 whp car. Never mind their stock suspension and clutch!

Quick Reply: Whats left after HCI?