Sponsored by:

706 head replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018 | 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hides the bondo and epoxy
Old 02-27-2018 | 08:44 PM
On The Tree

chalou88 Take a flat bastard file and gently run it across the area where the metal is distorted on the corner of the head. Make sure it is flat to the head surface. It will not take but just a few strokes across it and it will be gone. These are aluminum and it is a soft surface and not hard to remove the metal and you will be good to install.
An easy way to clean the deck of the block is to go to walmart or your local hardware store and pick up a sanding block and 320-400 grit sand paper and you can sand the deck and not create any distortion. You can also pick up a wire brush that will fit in a 3/8" drill if you have some hard to remove rust then come back with the sanding block.
Old 02-27-2018 | 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

please don't use a sanding block
as mentioned before granite to be flat flat flat
Ive used thick glass also.you can tell when its flat by putting liquid between it and something flat,such as a mirror
Old 03-01-2018 | 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys i took them to the machine shop in town last night. He said its nothing major since its not near a sealing surface and would fix it and also check them both over to make sure everything is good. Worst part is they wont be done till monday/tuesday. He does do porting but said that could be a few weeks out so unfortunately i will have to pass on that. By the way i guess painted reman heads are a pretty common practice but i am still removing it from gasket surfaces with a rag and acetone for peace of mind. Was in the process of doing this when i found the nick in the corner. This site has been a big help and im sure i will have more questions along the way
Old 03-22-2018 | 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Just an update for those of you that are interested. Its been back together and running for a couple weeks now. Everything seems good. I did have the old 706 heads tested by the same shop who checked out the 862s I bought and he said the passenger side was definitely cracked. For the install I used the Mahle MLS gaskets which I really liked. They had a blue rubbery material around all sealing surfaces. I also ended up using Summit assembly lube under the bolt heads cause nobody would ship me EPL lube. One little thing that helped the most was the 100 pack of 6" wooden stick cotton swabs from amazon, between the compressed air and brake cleaner they made easy work of cleaning bolt holes versus the paper towel method. Also for gasket scraping I used permatex gasket residue remover and plastic razor blades which worked really well. Then just brake cleaner and rags to get the last 5 petcent. I also did buy Summit shorty headers which Im happy with, mostly for appearance as they did not add any noticable performance improvements. All in all it was a fun project and I thank you guys for the insight. Im eyeballing the popular 224 cam right now but will probably wait till this summer.