Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 3 5.3 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 3 5.3 turbo build

So I picked up a 140k mile 5.3, harness and computer from auto salvage last week.. verified it was indeed a 5.3 by the crank casting number and the dished pistons... the cam sensor is in the back of the block and the knock sensors are in the valley pan so am i right assuming this is indeed a gen 3?? It also has the 24x reluctor on the crank.. I had a look at the main and rod bearings as well as the crank journals both main and rod and they look fantastic... also had cross hatching still in the cylinders...they look great as well, no egg shape or any signs of damage... it does have the dreaded 706 Castech heads but I won't be reusing them... to my surprise though this 5.3 has the gen4 rods with floating wrist pins.. I don't know if you can tell from the picture but it does have locks in the piston to keep the pin in... is there a way to find out what year block this is or does it really matter?? There is a L164 cast into the passenger side of the block where the head bolts on.. does this indicate year??? I think I read somewhere that it does??? I plan on having this engine taken to the machine shop and cleaned up as it is kinda gummed up as well as any and all necessary machining... I plan on installing it in my 2000 camaro that currently has a built 355 SBC and turbo 400 trans... i would like to have somewhere around 800 hp or maybe a little more... these gen 4 rods look beefy , will they handle that power level without being a big liability?? Not sure about what cam I want just yet or heads but I do like the BW 75mm turbo...if these rods and pistons aren't strong enough I will go forged if I have to but if they will live with a good tune then I could use the money elsewhere... I do plan on selling the SBC... aaaand I also have a 1973 gremlin I had planned on selling to foot the bill somewhat for this build... I appreciate any and all help!

Last edited by Boosted5.3maro; 03-23-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:06 PM

I guess I should also mention, these rods have a dished piston and not a flat top.. the gen4 rods I have researched all had flat tops... is this normal??
Old 03-24-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Can you take a pic of the bolts on the end of the rod?

Here's a couple turbo builds that may help you on your journey:

Turbo starts at like page 19 or so.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html

Turbo TA build

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-75-build.html

Here's a gen3 5.3 with gen4 rods and pistons.

gen 4 rods are completely square around the bolt heads:

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 03-24-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM

I just went and looked at the one rod I took out and it is indeed square like the ones in the pic you posted... I saw a set of gen3 rods yesterday that my buddy pulled out of his 5.3 and mine are definitely the gen 4s... the difference is night and day ! I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with forged pistons or keep these... from what I've read and been told, these should be fine up to 700whp or a little more if I have a good tune and correct fuel... which would be fine with me for now... I may upgrade later on but I'm more interested in getting it on the road ASAP...
Old 03-24-2018, 04:38 PM

I found the Huron speed v1 truck manifold single t4 turbo kit.. with the 7875 turbo included it was something like 2,300 dollars.... I assume this means I can use the factory truck manifolds I got with the 5.3?? Just swap them around to face the front?? It looks like a sweet setup!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

yeah thats how they work.