Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird tick Engine pull test stand running

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Here is a link for those of you interested in the issue with over tqing the studs/bolts due to the washer slipping. I first hand have felt this on my LS when I was installing a balancer bolt and I lubed under the washer that contacted the balancer. I lubed the underside of the washer and the bolt head and I was torqing to 215ftlbs when the bolt just seemed to "slip" above 190ftlbs. In fear of stripping the crank or breaking the 12.9 bolt I just stopped and left it. I was able to tq my dads same balancer bolt on his 5.3 to the 215lbft tq no problem. I also remember feeling this when doing the ARP head bolts on my current 5.3... the feeling like they were being tq'd and then a quick "slip" where it would grab again.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...ng-head-bolts/

I would get TYY bolts but not comfortable doing the angle tq on them, plus not reusing them is a no go for me. THe studs are cheap and Ive read that tqing them to 65lbs will work well, anything above the 70-75ftlb and they shouldn't be reused. I gotta take another look at the speedmaster studs and see how and where its bent. I remember rolling it on a table and seeing is wiggle just a smidge.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Here is a link for those of you interested in the issue with over tqing the studs/bolts due to the washer slipping. I first hand have felt this on my LS when I was installing a balancer bolt and I lubed under the washer that contacted the balancer. I lubed the underside of the washer and the bolt head and I was torqing to 215ftlbs when the bolt just seemed to "slip" above 190ftlbs. In fear of stripping the crank or breaking the 12.9 bolt I just stopped and left it. I was able to tq my dads same balancer bolt on his 5.3 to the 215lbft tq no problem. I also remember feeling this when doing the ARP head bolts on my current 5.3... the feeling like they were being tq'd and then a quick "slip" where it would grab again.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...ng-head-bolts/

I would get TYY bolts but not comfortable doing the angle tq on them, plus not reusing them is a no go for me. THe studs are cheap and Ive read that tqing them to 65lbs will work well, anything above the 70-75ftlb and they shouldn't be reused. I gotta take another look at the speedmaster studs and see how and where its bent. I remember rolling it on a table and seeing is wiggle just a smidge.
Ah okay, they have accounted for the amount of friction and slip between the bolt/nut flange and washer and spec'd the torque for that point of friction only. That being the case, do it how they designed it to be done and moly lube the bolt/nut flange to washer and not washer to head.

Thanks for posting that, learned something new.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounded like a header exhaust leak to me.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually had a new gasket on that side. It almost sounded like it could have been in the exhaust primary... thin wall chinese ebay headers. But these same headers were used on the other 5.3 a few weeks ago and it was much quieter. I also looked at the head where the header gasket seals and didnt see any carbon trails etc.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just wanted to update this. I redid the motor... pulled the pan, bottom end looked fine visually has gen 4 rods but prob pressed pistons. Swapped a C6 oil pan, shimmed the stock oil pump, cloyes LS2 timing set, used LQ9 cam, 2 peice timing cover. MLS 5.3 head gaskets with speedmaster studs. The heads got new valve seals and LS6 springs and a brake clean job. Installed johnson hylift stock lifters and new trays and threw back on the stock pushrods and rockers. ( i retrofitted a set with CHE bushings but not for this engine fire test). Ran the motor with 20w50 and some 10w30 I had laying around (synthetic) and shes quiet as a mouse. This was reusing the same headers and header gaskets as before. My guess is lifters were noisy and they werent even soaked recently this time. I soaked them for about 1 min and installed weeks before starting it.

This motor will now be stored (removed the rockers and pushrods) for a future project that will get either a 76/65 or Gt45 turbo