Sponsored by:

Post build no start and buzzing from ignition relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Post build no start and buzzing from ignition relay

Hey guys,

So I just finished my cam swap and valve train upgrade build today on my 99 FRC C5. When I turn the ignition the car does not attempt to turn over. My headlights and dash work without problem. After this I went to erase past DTC thinking that current codes would be visible during the next crank attempt. So now it shows me a code category only and no specific codes ( said no comm. next to the category). Lastly, while the ignition is turned to the on position a significant buzzing is coming from # 42 (Ignition relay) in the engine bay fuse box.
List of DTC categories: 28-TCS, 40-BCM, 58-SDM, 60-IPC, 80-Radio, 99-HVAC, B0-RFA.

I have double checked all connections I could think of and am stumped as to where to go from here. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew
Old 05-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So I started back tracking and it turns out that like an idiot I forgot to tighten down the negative or ground wire (big black wire) on the starter solenoid. I had to take the header off to reach it then buttoned everything back up and she lives. About 5-10 minutes into the test drive the test engine light came on so I retrieved the codes with success this time. There are 4 codes under 28-TCS, 1 codes now under 40-BCM (U1255 H) , 5 codes under 58-SDM, and 4 codes under B0-RFA. I am taking the car to Powertech performance in Tampa on Wed for a tune so hopefully things will get worked out. I would like to further my understanding of engine electrical theory. I have researched cam theory and am decently inclined mechanically but when it comes to electronics I am in the dark. Any good beginning resources that you would recommend?

Also, when the car gets to full operating temperature the idling oil pressure drops to about between 20-30. I dont remember it getting into the 20's with the stock pump. Under partial throttle (didn't take it much past 3K today) it does jump up to 40-50. The new pump is the Melling standard volume high pressure unit. Is this normal or to be expected?

Matthew
Old 05-19-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you use the black oring?