Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure to top end

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure to top end

I just got my motor back from the machine shop ( new cam bearing , main bearings , line hone,oil pump and oring and piston rings . I had new ls6 lifter with just 4 months run time . The problem I am having little to no oil getting to the rockers. I ran with the valve covers off . I have 41 psi oil pressure at idle and oil is getting to my turbo which is fed from the oil sending unit on the back off the block. Just nothing to the rockers. I just want to make sure the cam bearings and clocked right
also there was oil under the cam retainer plate. It' a 2003 6.0l
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Any ideas ?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Your cam bearings have nothing to do with the oil going to the rockers. The oil from the cam bearings goes down to the main journals and oils your bottom end.

Oil from the lifter galleys goes through the lifter, up through the pushrod, and that's how the valvetrain is lubricated. I would pull your PRs, spray some brake-kleen down the PR holes and blow them clear with compressed air. could be some debris got in there and is blocking oil flow.

Also, how much is "only a little oil"?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I would check the REAR engine cover gasket. Its as important as the frt cam retainer, It may be leaking oil from the gallery right back down into the pan. Are the lifters noisy? Its very possible the o ring on the pickup tube is damaged in some way letting air get into the oil. The oil pressure could look good even with a damaged o ring.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 05-21-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM
Teching In

I will try blowing it out . And there' very little oil like mybe a trickle comming out of half the rockers on the drivers side. The passanger side has a bit more flow but not alot . O ring and real seal are both brand new