Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head choices - 408 procharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head choices - 408 procharger

Right now, I have a ls2 based 408 with ported AFR 205 heads. ls6 intake + F1R Procharger. I'm going to build the driveline first, but then I may go for some bigger heads and intake to really maximize potential of the setup. I feel that the 205s are a little small and some 245s or 260s probably better. Aiming for 9-1000whp. suggestions? Or will the 205s not be a huge choke point
Old 07-08-2018, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My vote would be Mamo 235's with the NFI (nitrous forced induction) exhaust valve option
Old 07-08-2018, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
My vote would be Mamo 235's with the NFI (nitrous forced induction) exhaust valve option
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed! What He Said ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-09-2018, 11:21 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed! What He Said ^^^^^^^^^^^^
I second that emotion...
Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You use the same cfm/port required for a n/a car, it doesn't matter if its blown, turbo, or nitrous.. Bigger ports will not make you faster, you want to maximize airspeed in the head. Do the math for what cfm your engine requires naturally aspirated and that.s what you use, bigger then that number will slow airspeed and you will lose power.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FROM DARIN MORGAN:

The truth of the matter is this: flow numbers are about the least important factor you should utilize when purchasing a cylinder head. Looking back over everything I have stated here you can see there is a lot more to cylinder head intake manifold design than most know. What’s really scary is the fact that I left out about 65% of the other variables that go into cylinder head and intake manifold design because this would turn into a book instead of a short editorial. You may be asking yourself,” How does a racer know which head would fit his engine combination”? Bottom line is, they can’t. People on the internet, racing buddies, friends or novices have your best intentions at heart when they speak up and give you recommendations regarding your engine, cylinder head and manifold choices. They are also the least qualified to make that determination. This type of “internet” research almost always ends badly! I help about ten people a day pick out the correct head manifold combination for their engine. Sadly, I am confronted by the fact that more than 50% of these people had to spend their money twice because they got bad advice! Dropping $3000.00+ on a set of heads is hard enough without having to do it twice! What type of cylinder head and intake manifold you need should be left up to professionals? Professionals whose life long discipline has been to research, develop, design, manufacture and test cylinder heads on every conceivable engine combination possible. Professional engine builders like Reher-Morrison and cylinder head designers like myself work out what cylinder head and intake manifold packages make the most power for a wide range of engine combinations ranging from reliable 7500rpm bracket engines to 11000rpm small blocks. We do the testing of camshafts, intake manifolds, heads and hundreds of other components on a daily basis. Why would anyone want to spend their own money to test what we have already tested?

We have already invested huge sums of money, time and research so you don’t have to!

http://www.powerandspeedpodcast.com/?p=342

http://darinmorgan.net/frank-talk-about-flow-numbers/

Quick Reply: Head choices - 408 procharger