Keeping the engine cool

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
The thermostat has two valves:
a. one valve opens/closes the the inlet path from the radiator;
b. the other valve closes/opens the engine block recirculation back into the pump (i.e. bypassing the radiator);
these two valves work in the opposite mode of each other (i.e. one opens as the other closes, and vice-versa)...

when the TS is removed, both passages a. and b. are open, so the pump draws cold coolant from radiator and hot coolant from engine block, at the same time...

BUT: the radiator has higher flow resistance than the engine block, so the pump tends to pull more coolant from engine block than it does from radiator, this leads to running hot.

****. I was picturing a single function stat and not the dual. I recommended pulling it as a testing step. I guess you'd have to remove only A portion or drill it to test the system the way I was picturing it.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's a suggestion. Try some water wetter (Redline). Works well and should reduce the heat.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
****. I was picturing a single function stat and not the dual. I recommended pulling it as a testing step. I guess you'd have to remove only A portion or drill it to test the system the way I was picturing it.
If you want to run without TS, you have to block the recirculation/bypass passage.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thermostats regulate minimum temperature, cooling systems regulate maximum temperature. A blanket statement such as "engines are supposed to run at blah blah blah temp" are pointless. An engine should run at the temp it's designed for. It will usually always make a tad more power and torque running cooler, around 160-180. Oem engines are built and designed to run at such high operating temps for emission purposes only. With such a variation in temps across the entire country, it's difficult for a single tune to be efficient in all areas..........so they design the engine and tune to the highest temp possible, to cover all areas. There's nothing wrong with the temps that you're seeing. If you want it to run cooler, start working your way through your cooling system. Once you get the temp where you want it, revisit your tune. Even adding a bit more fuel may be enough to bring the temps down.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma540
Thermostats regulate minimum temperature, cooling systems regulate maximum temperature. A blanket statement such as "engines are supposed to run at blah blah blah temp" are pointless. An engine should run at the temp it's designed for. It will usually always make a tad more power and torque running cooler, around 160-180. Oem engines are built and designed to run at such high operating temps for emission purposes only. With such a variation in temps across the entire country, it's difficult for a single tune to be efficient in all areas..........so they design the engine and tune to the highest temp possible, to cover all areas. There's nothing wrong with the temps that you're seeing. If you want it to run cooler, start working your way through your cooling system. Once you get the temp where you want it, revisit your tune. Even adding a bit more fuel may be enough to bring the temps down.
Finally a sensible post. If running hotter was better for performance all drag racers would do it, but they don't. They usually shoot for 160 to 180. High temps decrease emissions as mentioned. I always shoot for 180 to 190 temps on anything performance.

Quick Reply: Keeping the engine cool