Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Machine Shop Northern VA.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Machine Shop Northern VA.

ok guys. my google searches are not really helping me. new to the northern Virginia area and I'm in need of a good machine shop to clean up my block and assemble my motor. this area sucks for performance related anything. **** i cant even find a muffler shop to get the resonator cut out of my truck. so I'm in northern Va. ill travel as needed if its worth it. I'm close enough to west Virginia, and maryland too. I'm willing to drive up to 2 hrs maybe more if y'all can come up with any suggestions.

Thanks in advance guys
Derek
Old 07-28-2018, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Best solution is move to texas
Old 07-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Teching In

I don't have any experience with their machining ability but Burtonsville Performance Machine Service (Laurel Maryland) were the ONLY people in the area that understood what I was talking about and did not try to convince me I was wrong in regards to balancing a corvette clutch.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave at Automotive Parts and Machine in Frederick MD is a good guy but super busy. He does more industrial machine mostly but he also does automotive stuff. I’ve had stuff done by him and he’s been ok.

Jeff at Gunther’s Machine in Walkersville MD is also a decent shop too. Have had a few issues with him with stock rebuilds on the older Gen 3 motors where he references the chamfer on the rod for the orientation (the way just about everything else in the world is) vs point the flat of the rod to the front of the motor. Other than that small issue he has the ability to sonic check blocks etc. His work is pretty good as well. He builds motors for several motor sports teams so he is also super busy.

If your doing a full on build with aftermarket rods etc I wouldn’t be scared of Jeff or Dave. If your willing to go alittle further north there are a ton of machine shops that specialize in building sprint car motors (south central PA is one of the biggest hotbeds for sprint car racing in the country). Either way your gonna have to wait.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NoVA is a big place, where are you?

There is a good machine shop in Falls Church that I have used a few times. Next to the Volvo dealer. I would have to look up the name, but IDK if they actually build engines. the owner/operator is a good guy and he has loads of cool stuff in there with blocks getting setup for awesomeness.

C & C Auto Performance in Manassas would do it all, but IDK how LS savvy they are. Not that a stockish LS is hard to build at all.

As for exhaust I have heard these guys are the best Roberts Custom Exhaust in Stafford (full custom SS level ish) But if it is easy then Hi-Flo Custom Exhaust in Manassas is fine and I have used them before w/o issues.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:28 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
I laughed loudly at this one. So true!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
True! When I lived in Fort Worth they took speed seriously. Like 600+ or forget about it. Makes the street scene in VA look like trash (minus one guy in Harrisonburg area his daily is insane).

Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F ya wanna drive alittle father you have TKM in Denton, NC who builds some of the baddest cars in the country including Ziff Hudsons new setup. You also have Blazing High Performance in Durham, NC. I have used both and no complaints.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas.
Yeah, but it's a lot effing hotter.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by APillow

There is a good machine shop in Falls Church that I have used a few times. Next to the Volvo dealer. I would have to look up the name, but IDK if they actually build engines. the owner/operator is a good guy and he has loads of cool stuff in there with blocks getting setup for awesomeness.

C & C Auto Performance in Manassas would do it all, but IDK how LS savvy they are. Not that a stockish LS is hard to build at all.

As for exhaust I have heard these guys are the best Roberts Custom Exhaust in Stafford (full custom SS level ish) But if it is easy then Hi-Flo Custom Exhaust in Manassas is fine and I have used them before w/o issues.
awesome. I’m in Leesburg but work at Dulles so those places wouldn’t be too far from work. I’ll look them up. Thanks a lot
Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by APillow

Originally Posted by kossuth
Dave at Automotive Parts and Machine in Frederick MD is a good guy but super busy. He does more industrial machine mostly but he also does automotive stuff. I’ve had stuff done by him and he’s been ok.

Jeff at Gunther’s Machine in Walkersville MD is also a decent shop too. Have had a few issues with him with stock rebuilds on the older Gen 3 motors where he references the chamfer on the rod for the orientation (the way just about everything else in the world is) vs point the flat of the rod to the front of the motor. Other than that small issue he has the ability to sonic check blocks etc. His work is pretty good as well. He builds motors for several motor sports teams so he is also super busy.

If your doing a full on build with aftermarket rods etc I wouldn’t be scared of Jeff or Dave. If your willing to go alittle further north there are a ton of machine shops that specialize in building sprint car motors (south central PA is one of the biggest hotbeds for sprint car racing in the country). Either way your gonna have to wait.

awesome. Thanks. I’ll look them up. I knew o could count on you guys

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Machine Shop Northern VA.