Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Rods

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Push Rods

Hey guys, I'm about to get my freshly rebuilt engine back from my builder. I just had him build the block an I'm going to assemble the heads. My question is how do I check for the length of pushrods without turning the engine over? Can I just check for one cylinder and assume they're all the same? Or should I check them all? In that case is there anyway I can prime the engine first?
Old 11-10-2018, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most will only check intake and exhaust on 1 cylinder. The other 7 cylinders should all be the same. If you’re shooting for 100% blueprint, then check and document length and preload on every valve/ cylinder.

As long as the engine wasn’t assembled dry, there’s no issue with turning the engine over by hand to get the cam on base circle for measuring pushrod length.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Okay, thanks for the input. I'm not concerned with all of that, as long as its acceptable to only check on 1 cylinder that works for me. I assumed there wouldn't be any variation but just wanted to run it by someone else. I know this is off topic, but what's your opinion on stock rocker arms? I hear people say they're fine and others say they would never use them
Old 11-10-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Stock rockers are fine. Some might put a trunnion bushing upgrade on them, but not totally necessary for now.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup stock rockers for me too. Just make sure they’re genuine GM casting. There are offshore castings out there that aren't as strong as real ones. The trunnion upgrade is a good idea but not critical as long as the cam doesn’t have crazy high lift.

Theres nothing wrong with aftermarket 1.8 roller rockers just a little overkill on most engine builds. And not a good bang for the buck IMO.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Okay thanks guys I'll just be using stock rockers. I saw the trunnion upgrades and they look really nice. I think I'll pick up a set just for the peace of mind, they're not all that pricy
Old 11-13-2018, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fodge Jr.
Okay thanks guys I'll just be using stock rockers. I saw the trunnion upgrades and they look really nice. I think I'll pick up a set just for the peace of mind, they're not all that pricy
Use the bushing style, not the needle bearing style. The trunnions with needle bearings are soft and don't last at all.