2018 cam suggestion for Yellow spring heads(ls6 springs) - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 cam suggestion for Yellow spring heads(ls6 springs)

Old 12-05-2018, 10:47 PM
  #1  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 176
Default 2018 cam suggestion for Yellow spring heads(ls6 springs)

Hi guys
yes cams been discussed slot but i wanted to get a 2018 actual update on what grinds are Actualy making good power on a "lower lift" ls springs.

Scenario is planned for a drivable
Ls1 ,799heads ( has yellows installed) ls6 intake, headers. Tune
goal would be drivable 450hp. Good cam power curve without loosing to much drivability
but has the potential to whoop some "newer mustang" lol.
I don't know if it makes even sense to keep the yellow springs or just go 600+ to have a better choice.
all 550 lift cams I Actualy looked are "truck cams" .
any suggestion?
Sebambam is offline  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:56 PM
  #2  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 8,326
Default

Some of the bigger truck cams will give a nice boost to an LS1. Don't dismiss them out of hand. 450 flywheel or wheel?
G Atsma is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 AM
  #3  
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,756
Default

Here is an example of low lift vs high lift on TSP in house engine dyno. Same tune




So why not use a higher lift cam and a higher quality spring?
Ive had issues with ls6 springs on my stock lq4 cam and really dont recommend them. No drawback to .600 on a stock head or any other head for that matter. The only "real" drawback is cost...but basically 389 for a kit vs 515 for some of ours is just saving up a little longer for a better set of springs. Cams are the same cost.
tech@WS6store is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 AM
  #4  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is an example of low lift vs high lift on TSP in house engine dyno. Same tune




So why not use a higher lift cam and a higher quality spring?
Ive had issues with ls6 springs on my stock lq4 cam and really dont recommend them. No drawback to .600 on a stock head or any other head for that matter. The only "real" drawback is cost...but basically 389 for a kit vs 515 for some of ours is just saving up a little longer for a better set of springs. Cams are the same cost.
got a point.
I was just wondering if anything developed recently since I saw the low lift truck cams got launched...
but hey I guess I go 600+ springs to have a bigger choice.. A proven cam is still the magic stick I guess lol
Sebambam is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 AM
  #5  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
Some of the bigger truck cams will give a nice boost to an LS1. Don't dismiss them out of hand. 450 flywheel or wheel?
we'll I guess realisticly flywheel with this specs I offer
Sebambam is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 AM
  #6  
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,756
Default

The ms3 isnt a cam to compare to those. You run into quite a few different things to look at with a huge cam like that.

Texas speed is always coming out with new lobes and their cnc machines are state of the art. Their lobes are less than 3 yrs old at the oldest ones and some are fixing to be released soon including our new proprietary SCREAMER lobes. (all the other fancy names were taken)

Dont be scared of lift though.
tech@WS6store is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 AM
  #7  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 8,326
Default

If he stays at or around .600 he can use beehives and stock rockers. Keeps it simple....
G Atsma is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 AM
  #8  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
If he stays at or around .600 he can use beehives and stock rockers. Keeps it simple....
so beehive/yellow springs are good up to .600 lift?
Sebambam is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:30 AM
  #9  
TECH Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
99Silver6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 4,135
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The ms3 isnt a cam to compare to those. You run into quite a few different things to look at with a huge cam like that.

Texas speed is always coming out with new lobes and their cnc machines are state of the art. Their lobes are less than 3 yrs old at the oldest ones and some are fixing to be released soon including our new proprietary SCREAMER lobes. (all the other fancy names were taken)

Dont be scared of lift though.
Would your newer HL hot cam be a fair candidate for him?
99Silver6.0 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM
  #10  
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,756
Default

Originally Posted by Sebambam View Post
so beehive/yellow springs are good up to .600 lift?
No. not at all. they are only really good to .560 but lack the pressure for some of the more aggressive lobes.
tech@WS6store is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 AM
  #11  
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,756
Default

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0 View Post
Would your newer HL hot cam be a fair candidate for him?
Very good option indeed and the lobes were designed last year.
tech@WS6store is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM
  #12  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 8,326
Default

Originally Posted by Sebambam View Post
so beehive/yellow springs are good up to .600 lift?
No, you use those beehives made to go .600.
G Atsma is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM
  #13  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Very good option indeed and the lobes were designed last year.
i guess i find this cam on your website? What can i expect in gains?
can i possibly expect this cam even passing ca smog? ( i doubt it)

Last edited by Sebambam; 12-06-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Sebambam is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:56 PM
  #14  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,980
Default

For several reasons you need to ditch the yellow springs. First off the ones you currently have are likely 10-15 years old and will be weak and may have trouble controlling a stock cam.
There aren't many performance cams available with under .550 lift, and that's what the yellow springs are rated for. Even then they need a soft lobe not an aggressive performance lobe.

Best bet is to go to a minimum of a .600 beehive rated spring, but the cam you choose will determine the spring you choose. Choose the cam then the appropriate spring after, not the other way around.
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM
  #15  
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,756
Default

Originally Posted by Sebambam View Post
i guess i find this cam on your website? What can i expect in gains?
can i possibly expect this cam even passing ca smog? ( i doubt it)
It has passed smog in cali. quite a bit of that is in the tune.

Cam with springs is here.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=8542
Gains depend on total mods. 50 to 60 is a ballpark.
tech@WS6store is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM
  #16  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,980
Default

And the .500 - .550 lift cams are almost only truck cams. And the higher lift ones perform better so I wouldn't focus on lower lift cams for your LS1 just to use some (what are probably) old worn out springs.
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 03:51 PM
  #17  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
vettenuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Little Rhody
Posts: 8,051
Default

Don't use the yellow springs. Replace them with either the new LS6 valve spring or other good aftermarket. The yellow springs are a known failure point on the LS6 and their use is essentially a ticking time bomb.
vettenuts is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 06:13 PM
  #18  
Teching In
iTrader: (2)
 
cula8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Aurora, NY
Posts: 42
Default

For just under 400.00 you can get a nice cam and PAC springs, depending on your lifters and pushrods you might be able to use them.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...valve-springs/

Don't believe me check out this thread, post #55.......see & hear the nice setup he's got going on..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tage-ii-3.html
cula8r is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 06:51 PM
  #19  
Launching!
 
stockA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
Some of the bigger truck cams will give a nice boost to an LS1. Don't dismiss them out of hand. 450 flywheel or wheel?
I've gone as quick as [email protected] at gateway in East St Louis, in my full weight 2002 Z28 with just a lowly Btr stage III "truck" cam with the cheap blue LS6 springs. Car also has 1-3/4" pacesetters, 3.73's in the stock ten bolt and a Tci SSF 3500. 245/50/16 nittos on stock wheels, That's it folks.

good tuning is more important than anything else! I beat cars with bigger tires and hairier sounding setups than mine all the time.

Nothing worse than a car that sounds fast that isn't, mine sounds almost stock with my "RV" cam lol

stockA4 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: