Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spes on a g5X2 and G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand why they wont release the specs. The G5X3 is a regrind of a Certain Comp Cam, so if people knew the specs they might just buy the Comp Cam and take it to a machine shop and BAMM they have a G5X3 cam. Some people might already have the CompCam and if they knew the specs would just regrind their cam. So I can understand why, thats why I just bought One and am trusting them on the PVC clearence, but I also can understand for guys with strokers or milled heads, those guys need to know the specs.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
I can understand why they wont release the specs. The G5X3 is a regrind of a Certain Comp Cam, so if people knew the specs they might just buy the Comp Cam and take it to a machine shop and BAMM they have a G5X3 cam. Some people might already have the CompCam and if they knew the specs would just regrind their cam. So I can understand why, thats why I just bought One and am trusting them on the PVC clearence, but I also can understand for guys with strokers or milled heads, those guys need to know the specs.
Comp will grind you any cam you want for under 400 bucks on XE, XE-R or big block lobes. (or a combination of on the same cam)

A lot of guys have experimented with less radical lobes on the exhaust side. It seems to do well and help valvetrain stability.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are the G5X2 specs

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/cam/g5x2.jpg

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 07-16-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
EXACTLY. Lou worked too damn hard for these cams to let people just copy his specs. And to whoever said it costs $100 to maket he cam......I guarantee you that it costs LG more than $100 to make one of those. The R&D and knowledgeable customer support of a great company like that is what you are paying for.
I only got it cam doctored so i knew what was in my car.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Call Thunder and ask them for the valve events of the T-Rex and see what they say.... Everyone know who makes LGs cams so if you knew the specs, it wouldnt be hard to copy... Thunders cam is completely custom and you cant just call a cam manufacturer and order or a xxx/xxx cam because the VEs are custom designed.

Its been said 100000000 times, if it bothers you that much, then dont buy it and quit bitching about it. Its that simple.
He is right. Dont F*$K with Country!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
There are no machine shops that are capable of accurately grinding cams...A regrind is fairly complex and generally involves welding.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright, i got it.
anyone who can make a custom cam
is also capable of knowing the specs of someone elses cam.
cam doctor or whatever method.

i bet all the guys who make cams
all know the specs of the G5x3
LONG AGO
its not them he's hiding the specs from
its us!
and why?

because of all this damn hype.

stupid secret cam specs
its just a publicity gimmick!

but i still will probably buy it.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hydfixer
I like my X2 but I am looking for some thing more wild. I can live with not being to streetable sine i only drive about 100 miles a month.
X3 112 with a solid tune and a 850 idle... all the cam you need
Old 07-18-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
do you need to replace gears and rearend to enjoy the g5x2? Whats the biggest cam i could use with stock gears and rearend?
I have 3 X3 customers and one X2 customer using stock gears with no complaints... I have 3.73s and I like them, however 4.10s are just WICKED with that cam...
Old 07-18-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Also if you knew the specs, and some one else had it for a better price I bet you would still buy the most expensive cam. I work to damn hard for my money to give it away. Must be nice to be rich!
Lous customer service alone is worth the extra money... see how quickly anything like broken valvesprings or issues will be resolved when you call a 3rd party vendor with a random custom grind cam that they didnt create... It was worth my extra when Rev had all of their springs breaking as Lou took care of me instantly with no questions asked!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

I understand very well why Lou won't give out the specs. BUT!! Thunder racing has no problem giving out their specs, I guess their R&D must be free. Cam blanks are cheap and all the grinding is done by a cnc grinder so there is very little cost. You can buy a S.B. chev cam for around a 100 to 200 bucks, about the same size for raw material, same time to grind AND some one did the R&D. I have been in sales on and off for 30 years now, and there is a saying when it comes to pricing" what ever the market will bear" I just like paying a fair price. Sorry if I afended any one, its just a cam.
ive pulled out 3 thunder cams to install G5 cams... would you like to purchase the TR cams from me? I have one in my possession and the other two are local guys... Also if you notice, the majority of the TR cams, MTI cams, MMS cams etc are all identicle... everyone has a 224 cam, everyone has a split cam, they are a dime a dozen... I have yet to see a cam raved about as much as the G5 cams to this date
Old 07-18-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 385
No offense to LG but the lobes are off the shelf grinds.

The specs (I know both specs) are very close to what many vendors have used for 4 years.

There is nothing magical about them except they are good cams that work.
many vendors may have used them for 4 years, so far none have publicly shown results as LG did... so I Guess there is some secrets to his cam that make it more than an off the shelf grind
Old 07-18-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
ive pulled out 3 thunder cams to install G5 cams...
most of the 224 that everone sell are the same basically, they all have a lil difference, but thunders r&d goes into race cams like the trex, i doubt someone looking for all out cam will pull the trex for a g5x2 or x3 cam.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
most of the 224 that everone sell are the same basically, they all have a lil difference, but thunders r&d goes into race cams like the trex, i doubt someone looking for all out cam will pull the trex for a g5x2 or x3 cam.
Trex also just came out... now that everyone is on the bigger cam rush im sure in time other companies will make one that large as well..
Edit - theres nothing wrong with the Trex, or thunders cams, just stating that if everyone knew the specs and copied the cams, then everyone would have one... EVERYONE has a 224 or 229 or 230 split cam, even if all from different companies and they all make the same results... those who want the bigger numbers turn to the ones NOT everyone has, IE Trex, G5X2/3 etc... but there is a lot more to a cam then just tossing huge grind numbers on the table and having it built... look how terrible driving a MMS 229 cam was when they first came out... you would think the cam was a super stroker cam with its characteristics... obviously later versions got better, but what im getting at is the technology in the cams like Lous are what makes them a great cam and a better purchase than the next guys...
Old 07-18-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

many vendors may have used them for 4 years, so far none have publicly shown results as LG did... so I Guess there is some secrets to his cam that make it more than an off the shelf grind
There are many guys that have run GREAT numbers over the past 4 years with similar cams.

It is a standard split (6-8 degree exhaust duration bias) cam with duration numbers similar to many off the shelf grinds out there.

I think it is a great cam and performs well but it isn't some radical grind that hasn't been tried before with success.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 385
There are many guys that have run GREAT numbers over the past 4 years with similar cams. I dont know where you are getting "none" from LOL
I believe the 10 second mark cam only was hit recently using a G5X2, care to prove me wrong? Im not on the forums as much as others are so I miss things like that
Old 07-18-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

That was also done in a car that was VERY lightweight with great driving and a well setup combo. (suspension, gearing, weight etc etc)

The bone stock internal record is in the 11.2 range.

I am not arguing that it is not a good cam. I am just saying it isn't radical as far as cam designs go for a small block V8.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

No being but you could take off the shelf XE-R lobes on a 112LSA and make numbers identical to a X-3 112...granted you know the two duration specs...you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Valve events are valve events...regardless of who grinds them. If they are similar, the engine will perform similarly. A major factor in how a big cam will idle is how radical the lobes are. The MMS229 cam had old slow lobes. Fast lobes yield less overlap. And I'm not doubting that Lou has helped the LS1 community go faster...he definitely has, but his cams are not splashed with holy water when they're shipped out.

Last edited by MyLS1Hauls; 07-18-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
No being but you could take off the shelf XE-R lobes on a 112LSA and make numbers identical to a X-3 112...granted you know the two duration specs...you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Valve events are valve events...regardless of who grinds them. If they are similar, the engine will perform similarly. A major factor in how a big cam will idle is how radical the lobes are. The MMS229 cam had old slow lobes. Fast lobes yield less overlap. And I'm not doubting that Lou has helped the LS1 community go faster...he definitely has, but his cams are not splashed with holy water when they're shipped out.

LOL! i will let you know if they are in a week.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:24 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
That is why you don't see Lou posting his specs. Look at the cam card, TEA simply copied Lou's cam . They didn't pay him for the cam, they simply used a combo that had been proven to work. In this case, they (LGM) saw no proceeds from that work.

Lets ask ourselves an honest question. If someone told you what lobes the G5X3 cam was using, and what the valve events were, would you just call up LGM and order the cam, or would you call Comp and order that same cam and save yourself some money? Lots of folks want something for nothing, in this case they want cam specs.

Lets ask ourselves another honest question. If you had the specs @ .050 what would you do with them. Would you know what you were looking at? Are you going to compare them to another similar cam and say "Well, this one is bigger, so it must be better." ?

Now, for those of you who actually understand what a cam is, and what it does. Who can actually use a degree wheel, etc... please apologize for my comments if they offend you I'm trying to make a point here.

I don't necessarily agree with Lou's policies, but I understand why he does what he does. My biggest gripe with any of it would be if I were an installer, and it didn't come with valve evetns so I could check them. But, I know most folks follow the tried and true "dot to dot" method. I prefer to check things a bit more though, (but what do I know...).

Anyhow, instead of guessing at Lou's specs why not just randomly pull lobes out of the comp catalog and start making your own cams....

Here , here are the XE-R lobes, have at it...

Quick Reply: spes on a g5X2 and G5X3