Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3 crate engine oil weight for track use

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:22 AM
Mkv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls3 crate engine oil weight for track use

I’m dropping ls3 crate engine in my track car. The car will never see street use. I live in Dubai and the climate is prone to temperatures ranging between 100f-118f during summer. Minimum temperature the rest of the year would be 95 minimum.

I was planning to run Mobil1 or Royalpurple in my crate engine after breaking it in on the dyno. But the temp worries me a lot.

Down in the future I’ll be using -of course- oil cooler. But what you guys recommend for my hot weather in terms of oil grade? What pressure should I see during idle-cruise-WOT post breakin?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

5-30 or 10-30 or straight 30. No need for heavier oil than that.

Should see around 40-50 psi at idle and up to 80 or so revved out.

I would avoid Royal Purple and go with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. I've used Pennzoil Platinum for years and it's worked really well for me. Pennzoil was reformulated over 10 years ago and has been excellent ever since.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Define track use.
1/4 mile 5W-30 is fine.
HPDE or Road Racing I would definitely use a 15W-50 at those ambient temps for sustained 20 minutes+ duty
unless you have oil coolers, increased volume and an excellent cooling system.
( Mobil 1 is the easiest to get for you)
(probably pretty hard to get AMSOIL had to qualify my recommendation as a Dealer lol)
I would want 25+ PSI @ hot idle & 50+ @ 6000 RPM Minimums

Last edited by NAVYBLUE210; 03-06-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

15-50 mobil 1 on the road course is what i use. Long sessions will waterfy typical 5-30 oil.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,205 Likes on 844 Posts

Everybody is going to have a different recommendation...

Highly concentrated ZDDP based synthetic straight 30 weight engine oil (UNless you have an alcohol fuel source).
Old 03-06-2019, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Define track use.
1/4 mile 5W-30 is fine.
HPDE or Road Racing I would definitely use a 15W-50 at those ambient temps for sustained 20 minutes+ duty
unless you have oil coolers, increased volume and an excellent cooling system.
( Mobil 1 is the easiest to get for you)
(probably pretty hard to get AMSOIL had to qualify my recommendation as a Dealer lol)
I would want 25+ PSI @ hot idle & 50+ @ 6000 RPM Minimums

Good point, I jumped out there assuming drag racing.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

40-50wt will give you better lifter stability at speed.
Dino oils like Mobile-1, Pennzoil, etc will not handle the heat nearly as well as a true synthetic. Pick whichever synthetic you can get. I use Royal Purple because it's easy to get. Engine tear downs show almost no wear after 2-3 seasons for racing.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 171 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
15-50 mobil 1 on the road course is what i use. Long sessions will waterfy typical 5-30 oil.
Keyword being "typical" 5w-30. A conventional 5w-30 I wouldn't want to see over 260*F pan temps. A high end PAO/POE synthetic 5w-30 however could go 300+*F pan temps without a problem. Oils like Driven LS30 5w-30 and Red Line HP 5w-30 are both PAO/POE synthetics with very good thermal stability. Oil grade does not determine film thickness. All the oil grade determines is a loose kinematic viscosity range (without pressure) at a static 212*F. (for the 2nd number) Apply pressure, such as the 12,000+ psi seen in the rod and main bearings, to that oil and that changes completely. The SAE J300 oil grade scale is a rather poor judge of oil quality since a lower grade oil can have a thicker oil film than a higher grade once high heat and pressure is applied. A good example is Red Line HP 5w-30 is actually thicker at 300*F than Castrol GTX 20w-50 along with having a lower coefficient of friction. Isn't tribology fun?

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
Everybody is going to have a different recommendation...

Highly concentrated ZDDP based synthetic straight 30 weight engine oil (UNless you have an alcohol fuel source).
AFAIK, no such oil exist unless you're referring to a 10w-30 synthetic. A straight 30 grade is referenced by SAE J300 as a mineral (conventional) oil with no viscosity improver additives. Even lower tier (group III and GTL) synthetics are comparable to a 10w-30 conventional in just resting form, before the additive package is included.

Also be mindful of getting caught in the trap of thinking more ZDDP is better. That's not always the case. ZDDP levels are misleading because there's several different types of ZDDP that are used. ZDDP is heavily dependent on the alkyl groups that bond the molecule, and you can change the characteristics of the molecule quite drastically by changing the alkyl groups used. For example, ZDDP that's bonded with long-chained primary (low carbon) type alkyl groups does little for wear prevention, but instead works great for soot control and oxidation inhibition. High levels of this type of ZDDP mean little when looking for wear protection. (see: diesel oils) This type of ZDDP also requires extremely high temperature and pressure to activate. (diesels) ZDDP should never exceed 3% of the total oil volume for extended use (~1920 ppm zinc) as levels above this can become corrosive.

Meanwhile, ZDDP with short-chained secondary (ethelene based) alkyl groups activate at low temperature and pressure are far more effective at wear prevention. The racing oil I used contains just 850 ppm of ZDDP.

Originally Posted by .boB
40-50wt will give you better lifter stability at speed.
Dino oils like Mobile-1, Pennzoil, etc will not handle the heat nearly as well as a true synthetic. Pick whichever synthetic you can get. I use Royal Purple because it's easy to get. Engine tear downs show almost no wear after 2-3 seasons for racing.
Higher grade oil can also over pump the lifters and cause the valve to not fully close so keep that in mind. The bleed holes on the lifters are designed around a specific viscosity bleed down rate to maintain ideal operation.

Mobil 1 isn't made from dino oil. It's made from natural gas (Gas-To-Liquid or GTL) which is only marginally better than group III hydroisomerized synthetics. They use the same base oil as Pennzoil Platinum with alkylated naphthalenes in the lower tier oils like regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 HM, and small amounts of high viscosity PAO in their higher tier stuff like Mobil 1 EP and AP. The second part of that sentence is correct as none of them will handle heat as well as a PAO/POE synthetic, not even close.

Royal Purple uses group III crude base oil like Valvoline Full Synthetic and Castrol Edge. When Calumet bought RP back in 2012, they went to slashing production cost which meant the expensive PAO base oil was cut out from all but the XPR line. ZDDP, MoDTC, and CaCO3 levels were all reduced. Their standard line was cut all the way down to under the 800 ppm limit to meet API SN requirements and get the oil on more shelves. However, they didn't lower the price of the oil. It's still $40 for 5 quarts compared to $22 for Castrol Edge which is 98% the same oil. RP used to be a top shelf synthetic up there with Red Line, JG Driven, Schaeffer's, Brad Penn, and Amsoil. Nowadays, you're just paying for the name and some purple dye.

Last edited by Polyalphaolefin; 03-09-2019 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Squarebody_GMC (07-01-2020)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Mobil 1 0-50 racing oil. Its not cheap and its what major nascar race teams use for durability.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sccagt1racer
Mobil 1 0-50 racing oil. Its not cheap and its what major nascar race teams use for durability.
None of the NASCAR teams are using Mobil 1's 0w-50 racing oil nor any other 50 grade oil for that matter. The teams that do use Mobil 1 are using a special blend made specifically for them that you can't buy on the shelf. The SAE oil grade of it is around 0w-10.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
None of the NASCAR teams are using Mobil 1's 0w-50 racing oil nor any other 50 grade oil for that matter. The teams that do use Mobil 1 are using a special blend made specifically for them that you can't buy on the shelf. The SAE oil grade of it is around 0w-10.
I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you but I do own a Nascar ls spec engine and the guy who runs the engine program specifically said mobil 1 0-50 is the only oil that they run in the ls spec engines. We just had a in depth conversation about this very subject. You obviously have some solid information in your previous post and some of that was discussed with him. What the cup guys run may be something different.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Amsoil Dominator 15w50
Old 03-10-2019, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Royal Purple uses group III crude base oil like Valvoline Full Synthetic and Castrol Edge. When Calumet bought RP back in 2012, they went to slashing production cost which meant the expensive PAO base oil was cut out from all but the XPR line. ZDDP, MoDTC, and CaCO3 levels were all reduced. Their standard line was cut all the way down to under the 800 ppm limit to meet API SN requirements and get the oil on more shelves. However, they didn't lower the price of the oil. It's still $40 for 5 quarts compared to $22 for Castrol Edge which is 98% the same oil. RP used to be a top shelf synthetic up there with Red Line, JG Driven, Schaeffer's, Brad Penn, and Amsoil. Nowadays, you're just paying for the name and some purple dye.
That's pretty interesting. Where can I read more about this? The world has moved on, and I like to try and keep up with new info.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Launching!

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you but I do own a Nascar ls spec engine and the guy who runs the engine program specifically said mobil 1 0-50 is the only oil that they run in the ls spec engines. We just had a in depth conversation about this very subject. You obviously have some solid information in your previous post and some of that was discussed with him. What the cup guys run may be something different.
No pissing match intended. I like a good discussion. He probably suggested 0w-50 for you to use since you aren't tearing down the engine after every race. I've never seen a UOA of NASCAR engine oil with a KV100 greater than 6.5 cSt. Most are 5.6-6.0 cSt. This is for the Cup series. Mobil 1 0w-50 has a KV100 of ~17.0 cSt with an HTHS on the low side (for a racing oil) of just 4.1 cP.

The oil they use contains little to no detergent (less than 300 ppm), 800-1000 ppm ZDDP, and 1700+ ppm friction modifier. Volatility is also very low at just 3-4%.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ve got 4 of those engines in rotation at the shop, and we run nothing heavier than Driven XP3 which is a 10-30. You shouldn’t need a 50w oil in those engines especially since they are dry sump and should be running a cooler. Are you listening to Yates? If you want to make power with a spec engine you should listen to private builders that put the spec engines together from kits and not Yates.
The cup stuff is wildly different from the spec engine program, can’t compare the two.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 79_T/A

I’ve got 4 of those engines in rotation at the shop, and we run nothing heavier than Driven XP3 which is a 10-30. You shouldn’t need a 50w oil in those engines especially since they are dry sump and should be running a cooler. Are you listening to Yates? If you want to make power with a spec engine you should listen to private builders that put the spec engines together from kits and not Yates.
The cup stuff is wildly different from the spec engine program, can’t compare the two.
Driven XP3 is what I use in my LT1. Outstanding oil.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add another data point, the new standard fill for the C7/LT1 is 0w40 Mobil 1. The stated use includes track use (left & right turns). Previously, there was 5w30 for street use and 15w50 for track use.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Launching!

M1 0w-40 is a good oil. It doesn't have the best shear stability though. It quickly shears down to a 0w-30 within just a few hundred miles. It's great in cold weather.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M1 0w-40 is a good oil. It doesn't have the best shear stability though. It quickly shears down to a 0w-30 within just a few hundred miles. It's great in cold weather.
Are you speaking to the most recent dexos2-certified 0w40 that was just released for the C7/LT1 Corvette or the European blend that's been on the market a while?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigsapper
Are you speaking to the most recent dexos2-certified 0w40 that was just released for the C7/LT1 Corvette or the European blend that's been on the market a while?
Both. The base oil composition changed little with the D1G2 reformulation. The base oil is still mostly GTL with a splash of PAO and AN. The only real change with D1G2 is the detergent package.