Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing cover and oil pan alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing cover and oil pan alignment question

Hey guys, I am in the process of a cam swap in an 04 sierra 2wd with the 5.3, but taking it slow due to tackling some other things at the same time (new brake lines, rear end gear swap, cleaning stuff, etc) The motor and transmission are in the vehicle.

My question is this: i obviously need to remove the timing cover but i also want to remove the oil pan (want to replace gasket and clean the pan inside and out)

For alignment purposes, would it be better to proceed with the cam swap, reinstall the timing cover, and then remove the pan, OR remove the pan now, and reinstall against the non disturbed timing cover?

Some on this board say alignment is critical, others are dismissive.

Sounds like it is critical when the transmission is not yet installed or the motor is on a stand due to cracking the bellhousing against the protruding oil pan during trans install, if i understand that correctly. Again, the motor and transmission are in the vehicle so if I am not mistaken then I can yank the pan now, reinstall without worry, THEN proceed with timing cover removal/installation?

Also regarding timing cover alignment, is the tool a must have item or is it possible to seat the harmonic balancer with the cover on loosely and THEN torque? I have the balancer removal and install tool and also new Mahle gasket and seal so I am not against the tool by any means so just looking for input.

Just wanna get all my ducks in a row, this will be my first cam swap in an LS so i want everything to come out nicely and not leaky. Look forward to your guys’ input!
Old 03-31-2019, 06:53 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,234 Posts

A lot of guys do cam swaps in the vehicle, so you should have no problem with removing the front cover and reinstalling it without touching the pan. I use the balancer myself, to center the cover. Leave the bolts loose and install the balancer, then level cover at pan rails before you torque the bolts. I do the front first, before I pulled the pan, but that’s just me. Remember the dab of RTV at the cover/block points upon re-installation of the pan.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts

this is my first time with this so i said screw it and use the saccity hub simulator tool. i figure it will be easy because it wont be as snug of a fit as the balancer and its just a light pice of plastic. if you are able to wait until the weekend i will sell you mine, will have 1 use on it. 20 bucks shipped.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Che70velle
A lot of guys do cam swaps in the vehicle, so you should have no problem with removing the front cover and reinstalling it without touching the pan.....
Sounds good to me, that is the route i will take then!

Now with the cover properly aligned (against the pan and centered on the balancer hub) and with the transmission/bellhousing unaltered, can i basically just slap the pan on during install or is there anything special to look out for?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Originally Posted by chalou88
Sounds good to me, that is the route i will take then!

Now with the cover properly aligned (against the pan and centered on the balancer hub) and with the transmission/bellhousing unaltered, can i basically just slap the pan on during install or is there anything special to look out for?
When re-installing pan, I’d snug the rear bellhousing bolts that go into the pan, before I torqued the pan rail bolts to ensure I was in the right spot. Remember the RTV at the cover/pan rail joints between the pan gasket and block. Just a small dab...
Old 04-01-2019, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Ok thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts

the most important thing with the pan is rtv as mentioned, and that it sits as flush as possible with no overhang past the cover to prevent cracking it as you mentioned earlier