Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure and run on issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure and run on issues

Did a cam and head swap on my 05 Suburban, started it tonight for the first time, fired right up. Waited about 5-10 seconds and no oil pressure, turned the key off and the engine continues to run. Pulled the oil galley plug and reprimed the pump and restarted it, still no oil pressure, and engine ran on again. Havent pulled codes yet. Verified the oil pressure sensor is plugged in and all other sensors are connected.
Cam kit is a BTR Stage 3, 243 heads. All new engine gaskets, cam retainer plate and timing set. Had good oil pressure before teardown. Cant think of where an internal oil bleed would be. New Melling high volume, standard pressure oil pump, replaced the pickup tube o-ring. Only possible thing I can think of is I got sent the wrong cam retainer plate with the wrong style bolts, I used it anyway and just centered it before torqueing it.
I don't have a tune in it yet, not sure if that's causing the run on issue

Last edited by hawkeyekris; 04-04-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by hawkeyekris
Cant think of where an internal oil bleed would be. New Melling high volume, standard pressure oil pump, replaced the pickup tube o-ring. Only possible thing I can think of is I got sent the wrong cam retainer plate with the wrong style bolts
So you think you got a the wrong retainer plate or you know you did?
It's not uncommon for people with low oil pressure to find they pinched the O ring when installing it.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I know I did, decided to use it anyway. I am going to replaced the sending unit before ripping into the motor
Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Pulled the old sender, has fresh oil on it, so the oil is circulating, so assuming its the sender. Poosibly a bad BCM causing it not shut down.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge you can install to confirm or deny the low oil pressure?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

On some of the trucks, the sending unit has a filter/screen as well. That usually gets clogged up and needs to be replaced also causing reading issues.