Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight vs Hp of using Lq9 vs L33 in C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weight vs Hp of using Lq9 vs L33 in C5

Okay so I have so much stuff to fix on this car its ridiculous so I have decided to throw a shortblock in refurbished from a local place. They quoted me 900.00
To refresh a L33 I have which is aluminum and weighs about 109 lbs less than an Iron block.
They quoted 1800.00 for a LQ9 shortblock.
Both will have 1 year warranty.
The heads I have going on the build are a set of 799s
That came off the L33. I had them Cnc Ported by Katech. 215cc 82cc runners
I plan on running a Fast but have a John Lingenfelter Aluminium intake for now if funds dont allow me. Injectors will be getting upgraded as well.
Now if I run the 5.3L I will be Reusing the 228/232 Tsp Camshaft that was in the previous 347ci
If I go Lq9 I am going to wanna go bigger cam
I know I'm limited on both engines for piston to valve clearance, and I have to mill the heads within the safe zone.
So Is it worth going with the Heavy Lq9 Vs Building a Baby Ls6 5.3L for my C5 ? This car does have the Z51 package so I was trying to retain the aspect of that. Also the Trans I'm putting back in is a 2005 C6 Z51 T56 Transmission which has about the same gearing as the C5 Z06 from what ive read. Let me know what you guys think. Little Ls6 or Heavy Iron Block? It seems like the Iron Lq would have to make 100 more hp than the aluminium 5.3L just to make up for the 100+ lbs weight gain ??? Car has 3.42 gears and Full Bolt ons,Kooks,X pipe,Corsa Exhaust.

Last edited by C5SixSpeedZ51; 04-19-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

If it was mine I would go with the lq9 in staying N/A. It wont take an extra 100 hp to make up for the weight difference.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Well from what ive gathered the Lq9 will have 11.1 compression give or take with .005 to .010 off the heads for clean up. I havent decided on Valve size as of yet, because I was pondering between the 2 shortblocks. The Katech port work looks good, I still have to get a Valve job done,Milling,Valve guides and a little blending leaft to do. Can't beat the Cnc work for 499.00
I'm hoping They perform well with whatever combo I end up with. If I go 6.0L I'm really wanting to Run a Old grind Camshaft I ran before and liked.
Thunder Racing RapTR Camshaft
236/242 615/615 111+2 degrees advanced

Last edited by C5SixSpeedZ51; 04-20-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

I do know for a Fact the L33 will be less stressful on the whole car though Lmao. I have to rebuild the torque tube because the shaft is bent and bearings are gone most likely with the rubber looking couplers. I will be buying a new Torque tube input propeller shaft and solid Aluminum couplers will go in place of the old wrotten rubber GM ones. Hope it doesnt vibrate too bad. I dont even know if that would hold the Lq9 for long. Clutch will be a Ls7 unit unless you guys recommend some other clutch. Slave cylinder is on debate as of now.
Ive always fooled with Transmissions on the back of the engine so this torque tube stuff is fresh to me.
This is the first Corvette build for me. Ive been sort of terrified the entire time. Lmao its fun but a challenge I must say.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the L33. You will easily make LS6 power plus some with those heads and a cam, and you won't screw up the weight balance of the car.

I had a 5.3 that had a similar cam with non ported 706 heads with slightly bigger than stock valves in it and it made 420ish crank hp (363 rwhp).
Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

100ish pounds is not a huge deal in a car, except on the nose. Even with my unbalanced, heavy Chevelle, I removed an iron 6 liter in exchange for an aluminum 6 liter, before I built the 434, due to nose weight. I do plan on dodging cones with mine, so handling matters. Taking your 100 pound 10 year old nephew for a ride in your car is a good example of added weight. You’d likely never notice the difference in performance, but that’s in the center of the car. Boils down to usage for me...what exactly are you going to do with the corvette? Street racing really won’t matter. Drag racing will matter if your looking for that last hundredth. Going to autocross the car, where turning in is everything, then you might notice the extra weight...
Iron block does give you room in the future to safely add boost if that’s crossing your mind. Choices, choices...
Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I had plans to restore the car back to its former beauty and drive it occasionally maybe 3 times a week if that. When I bought the car the guy lied and said the engine was new with 500 miles on it, he said the T56 needed building and thats it. Well after pulling it all apart I found damaged Engine,Torque tube, and Transmission.I even have to send the Engine harness off to be refurbished. When its done it might see the 1/4 mile a few times just to see where the combo is, besides that it will be used for vacation trips and for trips to car meets and what not. It won't be driven every day.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jkrueger
I would go with the L33. You will easily make LS6 power plus some with those heads and a cam, and you won't screw up the weight balance of the car.

I had a 5.3 that had a similar cam with non ported 706 heads with slightly bigger than stock valves in it and it made 420ish crank hp (363 rwhp).
So how did You like how it felt on the street?
I don't want a 5.0L mustang to clown on it.
Those are competitive cars. 😆
I was kinda thinking the same thing as far as power goes. I'm guessing the 5.3L would make 385 wheel hp with the 228/232 cam and Katech 215cc 82cc ported heads ?....could be more or less depending if I swap to a Fast Intake or not. Be nice to smack 400 RWHP with a 5.3L but I'm thinking low #'s and trying not to expect high #'s. I know with the 6.0L Lq9 I could smack 450 RWHP easily set up with the right cam, and using the heads I have. I just cant make my mind up if the extra whp justifies the extra weight.
I can kinda see the lighter block helping the cars nose to lift and plant the rear tires on takeoff. But I also see the Torque from the 4.00" bore 6.0L helping also.

Last edited by C5SixSpeedZ51; 04-20-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Bore the L33 out to 3.9”
Old 04-20-2019, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer
Bore the L33 out to 3.9”
I had talked to the shop about that, they said it would voild the 1 year warranty if I bore it out that far. I have to keep it stock bottom end if I want warranty.
He did say they could put Mahle pistons in whatever I want at extra cost but I wont have a warranty.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5SixSpeedZ51
I had talked to the shop about that, they said it would voild the 1 year warranty if I bore it out that far. I have to keep it stock bottom end if I want warranty.
He did say they could put Mahle pistons in whatever I want at extra cost but I wont have a warranty.
weird. L33 block goes out that far easy. Some even take them to 4”

bored out to 3.9, 799 heads and ls6 Cam and you basically have a poor mans ls6
Old 04-21-2019, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer
weird. L33 block goes out that far easy. Some even take them to 4”

bored out to 3.9, 799 heads and ls6 Cam and you basically have a poor mans ls6
I will call Monday and double check on that, but I'm pretty sure he said that about boring but at the time I was asking about aftermarket pistons and that's considered performance so they wont warranty it. So I will call and see if I can use stock Ls6 pistons and still get warranty. Its a stock part so I dont see why not.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We went through this back in February with your other threads. If that machine shop tells you they can't do it, find another machine shop. They go to 3.905 easily.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Thread re-opened. You guys have fun with it.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

So the thread continues after it cost me an infraction from Dr_Whigham, I sure appreciate it. I wouldnt have had to raise hell if My thread hadnt been closed to begin with. I dont get down like this, I dont play games and I Damn sure dont appreciate being played with. This kind of treatment is bullshit. If these are the kind of Moderators in charge of running ****, this Website needs to re think what the hell is going on. You dont close someone elses thread just because you see fit for it. I was being civil and completely reasonable.
Dr_Whigham needs an infraction for messing with other people's threads without good reason.
I want something done about this.
I want an apology or something.
I dont play that School Yard Bully ****.
And I want that Damn infraction taken off,
I wouldve never been mad and made that thread that got me an infraction If my original thread hadnt been locked or messed with for no reason. I feel like I was provoked into the situations that occured because of it getting locked for no good reason.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 250 Likes on 188 Posts

On topic: If you've got the L33 sitting in your shop for free, go with that.

Off topic: Okay, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can see both sides of it. C5SixSpeedZ51, you have received multiple good answers to your question, but at this point, it's up to you to make up your mind.

However, I don't agree with the thread being closed over that, especially given all of the bullshit posts I've seen on this board over the years.
Ex: any time someone bumps a thread just to say "Great build!", "Congratulations!", etc., I think that's a waste of bandwidth.
Just keep it to yourself, or PM it. That's my opinion.

I've been on some boards with some really out of control moderators, and it's no fun, especially when they start holding a grudge with a particular person or group.
I've seen them slam down the ban hammer on one person because they said something they don't like, but they will let others say it, and even engage in conversation about it in a calm manner.
That is not moderation, that is discrimination.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I am going to take up for Wigham. Maybe this one situation could have been handled differently, but he is by no means an out of control moderator. For all any of us know, he may have been getting member complaints and reacting to it. There is always more to the story.

He and I have not always agreed but I have always respected his opinions. He has corrected me a few times when I was wrong but I never felt like he was being condescending.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I am going to take up for Wigham. Maybe this one situation could have been handled differently, but he is by no means an out of control moderator. For all any of us know, he may have been getting member complaints and reacting to it. There is always more to the story.

He and I have not always agreed but I have always respected his opinions. He has corrected me a few times when I was wrong but I never felt like he was being condescending.
I think this all stemmed from a misunderstanding, and it led to a thread closing unnecessarily. I hope it can all get settled out, with all restrictions lifted and everyone making nice.
I hope all of you had a blessed Easter. HE lives!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:23 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by C5SixSpeedZ51
Dr_Whigham needs an infraction for messing with other people's threads without good reason.
I want something done about this.
I want an apology or something.
I dont play that School Yard Bully ****.
And I want that Damn infraction taken off,
I wouldve never been mad and made that thread that got me an infraction If my original thread hadnt been locked or messed with for no reason. I feel like I was provoked into the situations that occured because of it getting locked for no good reason.
Post #11 here, is why you received an infraction to begin with. https://ls1tech.com/forums/user-supp...losed-wtf.html

The only way an infraction is going to hurt me is if someone prints it out on paper, rolls it up, and pokes me in the eye with it.
What's done is done.
There will be no apologies over you saying you would "bitch slap you in the ear" to a member if you ever met them face to face.
I'm not even sure what "school yard bully ****" is.
The infraction shall remain. Forever.

Hell, even I have one from "asking a question already answered by the stickies." So be it. It's there. Own it.

Your post was locked because you've already had 3 threads in the past 2.5 months where members with a VAST knowledge have given you sound, solid advice, and you chose not to heed it. What's the point of making a thread then? You bucked every single piece of advice given to you.

Anyway, I'm done here. Carry on gents.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

I’ve never had a problem with Wingman and I’ve been pretty retarded on here at times