Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only options on a 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Cam only options on a 5.7

Can anyone help me find a cam/cam kit for my LS1?

I'm looking at a simple setup, just bolt ons (LT's, exhaust, intake manifold (LS6 most likely), lid and 4.10 gears). And I want to cam it. The car is a T56 manual.

I'm in the UK so we have lovely twisty narrow bendy country lanes and roads. So I want something that is eager, peppy and makes more use of the revs. Ultimate HP isn't the goal and low (2500rpm and lower) rpm performance I'm not so fussed about. I'm more interested in optimising the character of the engine to the roads and my driving style. Something a little wilder and maybe similar to what would be used on a road course type of thing would likely work, so long as it fits with the limited supporting mods I've got.

A bit of lope on idle I'd appreciate for the noise however

Can anyone point me at a good cam and/or install kit I should be looking at? I'm assuming I'll need new push rods and springs. I'm running stock heads still. As I'm a little lost on all the options. I've had a look on the TSP site and Summit. But there is too much choice and I don't know what would be good or not.

There is a place local to me that will be able to tune/map it once done (will probably install it myself). But they can't help with what cam to get as they'd rather I just bought a crate LS3 off them to install. Which would be great, except for the fact I can't afford to do that. So cam only is my chosen path.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Check into Howards ASA cam.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think a Cam Motion Titan 3 would be right up your alley. They can get you a kit with the springs and pushrods and gaskets as well.

If you want to be a little more aggressive the Titan 4 is also still a solid choice. I would not go any more extreme than that though for your intended usage.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Good to see you posting again, thunder
Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Does it need to be emissions legal? If so, you're looking at a sleeper cam like the LS6 or Lingenfelter or a small truck type cam.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Does it need to be emissions legal? If so, you're looking at a sleeper cam like the LS6 or Lingenfelter or a small truck type cam.
Yes to an extent. I need to run cats in the UK so will have some in the Y pipe.

I also need to meet these emission regs, they are only for Carbon Monoxide and Hydrocarbons though:

The first test consists of checking the emissions at ’fast-idle speed’ which involves running the engine at a speed of 2500 - 3000 rpm. During this test the emissions of CO and HC will be checked and a further check will be made on the lambda (1) value. The second test consists of a check of emissions at ‘normal idle speed’ in which the engine will idle between 450 and 1500rpm, but in this case only the CO emissions are assessed.
The emissions limits to be met are specified for both the fast and normal idle tests. At fast idle, CO must be at or less than 0.2%, HC at or less than 200 parts per million (ppm), and the lambda value(1) must be between 0.97 and 1.03. At normal idle, CO must be at or less than 0.3%.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

If similar to US sniffer tests, the Summit Stage 1 Ghost cam or BTR stage 1 cam is probably about the biggest you can go. Calling Cam Motion or Summit might get you some more info.