Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat damage. How hot is too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat damage. How hot is too hot?

I was doing some racing yesterday, and after the I launched all of a sudden I lost all of my guages except oil pressure and battery. Car was still running fine so I just assumed it was something electrical that pulled loose or something. I was about 2 miles out of town so I just continued driving it to get it back home to figure out why my guages werent working. I was about a block from home when all of a sudden all of my guages came back on. I looked down and my temp guage was maxed out over 260. Immediately shut the caar down. Popped the hood and what happend was my large return hose had popped off and I didnt know it. It all dumped under the car so i didnt see or smell anything. Ran the car completely out of coolant. Got the hose back on and filled overything up and let it cool awhile before firing it back up. everythng seems fine now and he car runs a drives fine. My question is, what damage has been caused from overheating? what precautions should i take? what are some things I need to keep an eye out for?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

You'll just have to wait and see, Short of tearing it down it's not likely that anything is going to show up externally. Watch your oil pressure and coolant level.

Damage could be scored bearings/cylinder walls. Warped head(s) that may or may not lead to head gasket issues.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

If you still have the stock ECM it will limp the engine on a few cylinders when hot to prevent further heating. You might be OK.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

I ran my Iron block 15 miles with NO WATER.... not on purpose of course, I noticed my oil pressure was dropping out to 0 at idle and thought I had spun a bearing. I was almost to my destination and it locked up.... lol
I was only 1/2 mile from the shop so I pulled it on the rest of the way. I checked oil and it was BURNT like I never seen before and FULL of metal. So Figuring the engine was toast, I just hit the key to see if it was still locked up in hopes of pulling it in the shop since its slightly uphill... well It actually fired right up and ran perfectly fine, oil pressure was good and all......
Found out it had no water in the block due to running a old school radiator, filled the BLOCK with water and changed oil.. Ran like a beast but both head gaskets were POURING water when the engine was shutoff back into the cylinders. When I pulled it apart the bearings had obvious signs of metal ran through them and the lifters had gotten so hot they were trying to stick in the bores, witch is were the metal came from.
With all that being said that is what will happen if you run an Iron block 15 miles with no water lol