Sponsored by:

LQ4 F-Body - Budget Cam Selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LQ4 F-Body - Budget Cam Selection

Hi Everyone,

Recently purchased a F-Body, LS1 Car without a T56. Installed a T56, fired the car, found out the block is cracked and therefore leaks coolant. Long story short, I have a spare 6.0L LQ4 Short Block here (2003), and plan to swap it into the car cause I just wanna drive this thing.

My plan is to install a Brian Tooley Stage 4 Truck Cam V2. I realize these cams are not designed to work with 241 Heads and an LS1 OEM Intake Manifold, but I'm honestly just wanting something that will sound great at idle and won't require much else (Springs, Pushrods, etc.)

So, my plan is:
- LQ4 6.0L
- Stock LS1 Top End
- Brian Tooley Stage 4 V2 Truck Cam
- LS6 Springs
- OEM Pushrods
- LS7 Lifters
- LS2 Lifter Trays
- Tune

Has anyone run a Truck Cam with a car intake? Or is there any opinions on running a setup like this? Main goals are minor power increase, choppy/semi-choppy idle, nice driver car.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2019, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 680 Likes on 471 Posts

It'll idle choppy for sure.

A car cam is usually set up to give high RPM HP at the expense of low RPM torque. A light car with lots of gear and small tires doesn't need lots of low end. A truck cam usually doesn't tilt the compromise so far in the direction of giving up low RPM torque.

Other than that, the cam isn't going to wake up in the morning, stretch, look around, and see that it's in a car instead of a truck; and decide to not run right as a result. It'll probably be just fine. Maybe not as good as it otherwise could be, but probably just fine regardless. Maybe won't need quite as much converter to get the same launch, but might peter out acoupla hundred RPM sooner than an otherwise similar cam except set up for a car.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

It's better than a stock truck cam for sure. If the cam is new, maybe you can send it back to BTR and exchange it for a Stage 2 or 3 car cam.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I think that's overall a reasonable plan. However there are two upgrades worth considering that will improve the performance for minimal cost. The 224/230 duration cam is well proven and should work very well in the 6.0 engine.

1) the LS1 intake is pretty horrible in NA applications. You could sell it for $75 to $125 or so and get a far superior yet inexpensive LS6 intake for $350 to $400. Probably end up with $275 in the LS6 intake. There are other better intakes and they will cost more. Below is some test data and the LS1 intake was the very worst one we tested.

BlackBird's Flow testing for intake manifolds see LS1 vs LS6 and others

2) for another $350 to $450 it would be ideal time to get a set of stock LS6/243/799 heads. They are a lot better than 241's or similar. With the heads off the 6.0 ideal time to upgrade.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

My ls1 camaro went higher 11's with the 2014 version 113 lsa btr stage III truck cam ( see thread in 11sec club am I added yet? Admins?) And I've recently switched up to a summit racing 8714, that's a 226/230 112+4 and it is pretty good bump over the 218/224 113+3... It's definitely got a lil more high rpm power with the bigger cam and that is what I wanted but it is also a much more agressive idle and about as agressive as I would want to go for a car that sees regular street duty like mine because I also use the car to deliver pizza. I don't understand why any average Joe would ever need anything more than good old ls6 springs LoL
Old 07-26-2019, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyes50
Hi Everyone,

Recently purchased a F-Body, LS1 Car without a T56. Installed a T56, fired the car, found out the block is cracked and therefore leaks coolant. Long story short, I have a spare 6.0L LQ4 Short Block here (2003), and plan to swap it into the car cause I just wanna drive this thing.

My plan is to install a Brian Tooley Stage 4 Truck Cam V2. I realize these cams are not designed to work with 241 Heads and an LS1 OEM Intake Manifold, but I'm honestly just wanting something that will sound great at idle and won't require much else (Springs, Pushrods, etc.)

So, my plan is:
- LQ4 6.0L
- Stock LS1 Top End
- Brian Tooley Stage 4 V2 Truck Cam
- LS6 Springs
- OEM Pushrods
- LS7 Lifters
- LS2 Lifter Trays
- Tune

Has anyone run a Truck Cam with a car intake? Or is there any opinions on running a setup like this? Main goals are minor power increase, choppy/semi-choppy idle, nice driver car.

Thanks in advance
Call ws6store. You can get a high lift hot cam and springs w/ pushrods for under 600 bucks. It will meet all your stated goals. Budget. Lope. Decent power.

Dont use stock springs and pushrods. They aren't designed to handle more aggressive lobe intensities and rpm from an aftermarket cam.