Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody uesd speedmaster ls1 1.8 rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anybody uesd speedmaster ls1 1.8 rockers?

So I have a 99k2500 suburban I 5.3 swapped. the whole swap has been done on a budget except the camshaft. self ported heads, speedmaster head studs and head gaskets, summit racing billet roller timing set etc. truck runs strong with just a bench tune from when I originally swapped it with a 4.8. as I'm getting ready for a dyno tune ive been making some last minute up grades, American volt efan kit etc and one of those upgrades was speedmaster full roller cnc 1.8 rocker arms, well the kit came with poly lock nuts as if they were stud mounted like a sbc gen1 or 2. email them and even tho kit says pedestal mounted they send me a part number for a stud kit that looks like sbc gen1. so I just called them, tech support sucks, the guy on the phone seems just as confused as me and in his system it gives him a gm part number for the gm rocker stands and also a stud kit, when you look up the stud kit it does say its for ls engines but theres no way it would work with the rocker stands/pedestals. I have a spare set of stands and before wasting my time pulling my valve covers off I plan on seeing if they will fit on the stands and if they will work with the stock bolts too. they also say not self aligning but he couldn't give me a answer on guide plates etc....im 2 inches away from returning these things. anybody ever actually use these things and what did you do to make then work? thanks
Old 08-12-2019, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Return them and go with a set of stock rockers with upgraded trunions. I haven't personally used a set of these in particular, but most of the cheaper aftermarket rockers for LS engines wind up being an issue rather than a solution.

Aaron @ Scoggin Dickey Parts Center
Email:Aaron387@sdparts.com
Phone: 1-800-456-0211 Ext: 324
The following 3 users liked this post by Aaron at SDPC:
Che70velle (08-12-2019), cookseyb (08-12-2019), fbodyfreakls1 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just get the bushings from CHE or other vendors and either change them out yoursrlf or get someone else to do it that is all you need for a street-strip engine. If you really want full rollers look at the new ones from Texas Speed...
The following users liked this post:
fbodyfreakls1 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

I filed my return with ebay and am dropping in the mail tomorrow, if they don't know how to install this **** how am I supposed to? gonna check out texas speed options and if not do a tronion upgrade and call it done.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

If your buying speed master stuff there is no way your gonna buy TSP's roller rockers $$$ lol
Old 08-13-2019, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

I'm either going to do the CHE kit or scorpion rollers. I did look at the tsp ones tho. I'm not buying speedmaster stuff because I'm broke, I like trying things out, most of the time people talk **** about the cheap stuff and have never used any of it. I tried their head studs and head gaskets and have had good luck, I'm going to be ordering a blower soon and we will see how they hold up then. I do have arp rod bolts, and for the engine for my Camaro I am alos going to run arp rod bolts and main studs. id like to try the speedmaster stuff down there but that failure isn't something I'm willing to risk to save some money. I do like to save money if I can, just because a part is expensive doesn't mean its better than a cheaper part and I do like to see who has solid products for less. if my head studs or head gaskets let me down I'm not out a whole lot and ill order the arps and cometics. a good example of value with performance is the torqstrom blower kit I'm going to be buying, independent testing against a same sized vortec blower showed the $2800 torqstrom blower to outperform the way more expensive unit especially down low. Torqstrom also offers a life time warranty on their head units. never rebuilding one on my dollar sounds great. procharger has a 1 year warranty and they are $6000 for a kit for my truck!!!! so like in instance of the supercharger if I can get more bang for my buck ill take it. the rollers from speedmaster did look like a nice rocker, they were cnc and had a great feeling bearing in them but I'm not gonna speed or take the time to guess how they should be installed. id rather spend $400 vs the $200 and have a bolt in ready to rock scorpion unit. no ordering push rods and ordering studs and maybe even guide plates, that brings the price close to the same and then if I have a failure...... so ill pass on that and just step up and spend the coin, some times that's the best opinion and there isn't a dollar to save. rockers were dropped in the mail today, I had to pay $18 return shipping. yayy..... ill make my mind up soon on what I want to do rocker wise, more than likely scorpion so I can get the 1.8 ratio, be bolt in and done.

Quick Reply: anybody uesd speedmaster ls1 1.8 rockers?