Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 LS1 stroker break down need more power???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Keep in mind the LS6 is part of the reason you aren't making power up top. In other words you're only taking it to 6500 because of the current power band, which is partially due to the LS6 intake. So don't buy one because it stops making power up top now, it will likely make a lot more up top and higher with an intake that flows up top.

By the way, I was scrolling instagram friday and your car randomly popped up in my feed on Fbodybros, I don't even follow their page. It was super random. I am now following you on instagram. My name on there is @matchesandgasolean
The following users liked this post:
Outlaw_Maro (09-09-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone tried the mast small bore ls3 heads on an 383 combo?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
This is what I was trying find though the search bar thank you.

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Keep in mind the LS6 is part of the reason you aren't making power up top. In other words you're only taking it to 6500 because of the current power band, which is partially due to the LS6 intake. So don't buy one because it stops making power up top now, it will likely make a lot more up top and higher with an intake that flows up top.

By the way, I was scrolling instagram friday and your car randomly popped up in my feed on Fbodybros, I don't even follow their page. It was super random. I am now following you on instagram. My name on there is @matchesandgasolean
That's a very good point I'll defiantly have to sit down look over couple articles see which way I'll end up going. Thanks for the follow on IG I will defiantly go check out your page.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Outlaw_Maro
This is what I was trying find though the search bar thank you.

That's a very good point I'll defiantly have to sit down look over couple articles see which way I'll end up going. Thanks for the follow on IG I will defiantly go check out your page.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Base off Darth_V8r "Clash of the Titans - Mamo MSD Airforce vs Mamo Fast102" post. Darth_V8r did some very in-depth research and giving a fair line of judgment on how to figure which intake would be best suited for your specific LS application. Base off his research I read that if your ABDC is under 45 then FAST 102 would be better suited because being under 45 ABDC you'll rev out at 6800rpm and your peak power should be around 6200-6500rpm. If your above 45 ABDC then you have a higher rev capability of seeing 7000+rpm. My ABDC is 41 so with my current cam I won't see anywhere close to 7000rpm and base off his research a FAST 102 should be much better for my application because of my ABDC being 41. Looking over the information seemed like FAST 102 pulled bigger power under curve and MSD shine more when you allowed it to rev to 7000+rpm showing a 20hp gain over the FAST 102.

FAST 102 from 4500-6250rpm showed a bigger HP gain over the MSD but at the 6250rpm mark the MSD and FAST meets for equal power until beyond the 6500rpm mark. MSD like said before takes off and puts a solid 20hp gap between the two. Then again if you look at the dyno 5250-6500 FAST 102 has 20hp advantage over the MSD in the end seems like which way do you want your power band to carry. Come on strong though the mid or to pull steady though higher RPM. One more part to look at is that the Torque is stronger with the FAST102 intake but because of his Cam was making the torque very bumpy though the RPM.

Base of this read I'm defiantly leaning towards a Ported FAST 102 unless someone can chime in and show me more research or have a vast amount of knowledge over intake decisions.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

One of the biggest things I took from that article was Tony Mamo saying that the FAST murders the MSD in the out of the box/as is state. He said the MSD needs FAR more port work when he does porting of the two manifolds. I do agree with you on going with the FAST, and if you aren't planning on having the manifold ported then the above is even further evidence that supports going with the FAST.

The FAST has long been the gold standard for good reason. It is just excellent all around. I'm also a big fan of the FAST 92. If you spot a 92 for a really good deal, I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I've seen 92s put in some serious work too. If you got the money for the 102 though, go 102.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 09-09-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

More , 320cfm .
6500 peak
More cam.
2nd harmonic intake will make way more torque than you have now and still make peak power. Holley sniper/edlebrock cross flow
know one is really using these one here I don't think. Fast is good but nothing will compare to 2nd harmonic for street driving
Old 09-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I was talking about the holley duel throttle body. 12.5in runner, add in 5.5 for the port length. That gives u the 2nd harmonic at 17in length Which will add a ton of torque and if done right. Will rev out, maybe loose a few on top. But massive gain down low/mid from the 2nd harmonic.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 389 Likes on 154 Posts

There was a big independent thread with a bunch of manifold flow testing done that lingered in the Tech section for quite awhile (I think its a sticky now). There were many manifolds featured on that thread and it took a long time to collect all that data.

The highest flowing manifold was my ported MSD and the 2nd highest flowing manifold was my ported FAST.....

IMO both of these intakes are extremely hard to beat when properly modified but they take a very different approach to their design and choosing the best one for your project will depend on the application and the type of engine you are building.

The short answer is the ported FAST is the right choice for the 90% crowd.....guys building HR combinations that likely wont see more than 7000 RPM but this thread is worth a read.....the MSD needs a combo that is geared more for higher RPM....a build with premium heads, the right cam, the right exhaust, and excellent valve control that would enable it to operate effectively up to 7500 RPM (the 10% crowd and that might be a generous percentage)

None the less give this thread a read if your hungry for data and enjoy learning more

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...orted-msd.html

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Launching!

I don't disagree . But this guy wants to make torque. And the ones that don't know.
Hp= torquexrpm/5252. Using the second harmonic=torque and wont have to spin it as high.
It's easier on valve train. .the second harmonic is definitely not new. But the idea is sound

I have no idea what the holley duel throttle body flows. That is a big question. Does not seem to be any data on them really. I am making my own duel throttle intake and will test alot runners. just cause I don't like buying things and end up being short.

Quick Reply: 383 LS1 stroker break down need more power???