Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CC, Top end cleaning, 02's & more

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CC, Top end cleaning, 02's & more

Hello people, I'm looking for some recommendations on which way to go with my car. To sum it up I'm wondering if its worth installing a catch can for my n/a bolt on only LS1. It's a 99 with 73k miles. I have some new denso 02's and was thinking its time for a top end cleaning etc as I've had a lot of oil consumption. One thing to keep in mind is I've been running rich (closed loop?) since messing up the 02's on my header installation many miles/years ago. I don't doubt a CC is a good idea, but seeing as how I have plans for a street H/C setup in the future I'm curious. Some members have posted about having the entire block rebuilt, forged, honed etc eliminating the need for a CC? I am not a mechanic and maybe there are some other things to consider as I just want to be logical about the best way to go about this.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

A catch can is a good idea even on a new engine, It's there to catch oil mist (whipped up by the crank/rods/pistons) but they aren't just for catching oil. One byproduct of combustion is water and between water vapor and oil vapor even a new engine can benefit from one. Those vapors aren't good for performance and actually hurt octane as they are burned in the combustion chamber so anything you can do to reduce the amount is a good thing.

Quick Reply: CC, Top end cleaning, 02's & more