Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019 | 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone know any tuners in hudson valley ny is sickspeed still open
Old 11-20-2019 | 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by William Gilligan
Anyone know any tuners in hudson valley ny is sickspeed still open
See if Google helps you there. Sometimes an oddball listing comes up.
Old 11-20-2019 | 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Swapped my ckp sensor today and motor fired right up. It has a misfire. I'll diag. It tom.
Was it a real misfire or just showing one?

If it's not real a crank relearn may take care of it.

However if the previous CKP was bad it might have knocked out a plug or two. I would probably slap a new set of plugs in first.
Old 11-21-2019 | 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Now it runs on half the motor cyl. 1368 not firing they have spark and injector pulse any ideas bad cam sensor maybe
Old 11-21-2019 | 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cam sensor has no control over what fires. Just tells ECM which stroke its on for starting purposes
Old 11-21-2019 | 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Now it runs on half the motor cyl. 1368 not firing they have spark and injector pulse any ideas bad cam sensor maybe
firing order off somehow if it's got fuel and spark and compression and doesn't fire
Old 11-21-2019 | 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

That's wat I'm thinking too gonna have to ohm out the wires and see where there at
Old 11-24-2019 | 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Rained all day today but found a few minutes to do a compression test on 1 and 2 cylinders. Compression was cyl. 1 165psi cyl. 2 160psi cold plug one looked like it just came out the box and 2 looked like it was gas fouled black and sooty. It has injector pulse and spark. Checking the the mail order tuner to see if theres so.ething off with it. Any idea. I did also check wire colors on Injector harness looks ok will ohm out tom. If nice out.
Old 11-24-2019 | 04:17 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Rained all day today but found a few minutes to do a compression test on 1 and 2 cylinders. Compression was cyl. 1 165psi cyl. 2 160psi cold plug one looked like it just came out the box and 2 looked like it was gas fouled black and sooty. It has injector pulse and spark. Checking the the mail order tuner to see if theres so.ething off with it. Any idea. I did also check wire colors on Injector harness looks ok will ohm out tom. If nice out.
I have a coil relocation kit on my 434. Puts the coils up by the fuel rails, and it’s tough to get the coil plugs into the back of the coil due to fuel rail in the way. Had a misfire twice now and both times I pulled plugs finding new unfired plugs (I change plugs a lot). Both times I had a terminal bent over at the coil, due to me not being able to get the plug to snap into the coil straight. It’s always hard to see and I have had to pull my coil each time to check. Plug will snap in, but bends terminals over. Worth a try...
Old 11-24-2019 | 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

I'll take a look but there in truck location and bracket but nothing is worth ruling out till checked.
Old 11-25-2019 | 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

One way to verify timing is to put the cylinders you are concerned with at tdc on compression stroke and mark the balancer then use a timing light to see if the spark is hitting on your mark or anywhere close to it. Mark 1 cyl at a time or put the number of the cyl on the balancer as your mark so you know which cyl your looking at when the timing light flashes.

Be hard to tell if it's hitting exactly on time but will for sure tell you if it's way off which would indicate cylinders are swapped somehow.

Had that happen when someone installed the crank tone wheel wrong on a VW. I had fuel, spark, and compression but would not fire, it was firing 90 degrees off time. The tone wheel (reluctor) on that car was the flywheel itself, somehow a genius figured out how to install it wrong when the bolt pattern on it is offset drilled to make it "impossible" to put on wrong lol. They ran the bolts in crooked to make it fit on wrong..
Old 11-25-2019 | 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this sounds very much like you have an issue with some crossed connections. if those cylinders have compression, spark, and fuel, and aren't firing, then they aren't getting spark and fuel at the right time.

did you ever verify that the 2 harness connections for the coil pack banks were plugged in on the correct sides?
Old 11-25-2019 | 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts
this sounds very much like you have an issue with some crossed connections. if those cylinders have compression, spark, and fuel, and aren't firing, then they aren't getting spark and fuel at the right time.

did you ever verify that the 2 harness connections for the coil pack banks were plugged in on the correct sides?

It does. I had that exact thing happen when a friend helped me with his car one time and he pulled the coil harnesses off the coil packs and off of the brackets and then wired them to the coils all out of order. Had 4 dead cylinders after that.
Old 11-26-2019 | 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so tested #1 & #2 cyl. Today 1 is one of the dead cylinders. 2 is a good cylinder well running one anyway. Ohm out inj. And coil on those two cylinders. Both injectors are on the right pin. And coils are o. The right pin. Gonna have to dig deeper my wiring is correct. I'm gonna try to flood it. Disconnect the coils and crank it. Pull a plug and see how wet it is. Maybe run it off carb cleaner and see if it smooths out.
Old 11-30-2019 | 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe you have some dead injector drivers in the ECM?
Old 12-01-2019 | 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
One way to verify timing is to put the cylinders you are concerned with at tdc on compression stroke and mark the balancer then use a timing light to see if the spark is hitting on your mark or anywhere close to it. Mark 1 cyl at a time or put the number of the cyl on the balancer as your mark so you know which cyl your looking at when the timing light flashes.

Be hard to tell if it's hitting exactly on time but will for sure tell you if it's way off which would indicate cylinders are swapped somehow.

Had that happen when someone installed the crank tone wheel wrong on a VW. I had fuel, spark, and compression but would not fire, it was firing 90 degrees off time. The tone wheel (reluctor) on that car was the flywheel itself, somehow a genius figured out how to install it wrong when the bolt pattern on it is offset drilled to make it "impossible" to put on wrong lol. They ran the bolts in crooked to make it fit on wrong..
Ok so tested #1 & #2 cyl. Today 1 is one of the dead cylinders. 2 is a good cylinder well running one anyway. Ohm out inj. And coil on those two cylinders. Both injectors are on the right pin. And coils are o. The right pin. Gonna have to dig deeper my wiring is correct. I'm gonna try to flood it. Disconnect the coils and crank it. Pull a plug and see how wet it is. Maybe run it off carb cleaner and see if it smooths out.
Do what I posted above instead of trying to flood it..

Trying to read how wet plugs are wont tell you if you're firing the cylinder at the right time
Old 01-01-2020 | 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I swapped my home made harness out for a 2002 camaro harness. Now it wont start at all wont even fire off ether pulled #1 plug wire and it has spark. Wtf is going on with this car. Before the harness swap it ran off of 4 cylinders now not at all. Please read thread before telling me to do thing already have been done. Please help.
Old 01-02-2020 | 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

You still haven't done what I recommended that would tell you a lot.
Old 01-02-2020 | 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'm getting there I forgot to hook up power for inj2 v6 to v8 car I'm going to if this doesnt work just feels more electrical to me.
Old 01-03-2020 | 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

What do you mean by that?

And if it's setup in any v6 firing order/mode that's definitely gonna be a problem lol
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (01-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Timing issue