Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No compression... But odd results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Either way you either have to pull the head or get checker springs to see if the valves are binding. Valve spring seat pressure should have been more than enough to close the valves completely with the rockers off. If you saw the valve pop up when the cylinder was pressurized then you have a problem of some kind.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Philhippy45
how does one fix that or what causes that?
You would pull the heads and replace lifters. Given the rest of the thread I think you are in for a tear down.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Maybe the valves are binding up in the guides somehow for some other reason, perhaps deposits or the clearance just not being enough.

Just shooting in the dark here.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I decided to get smaller pushrods for the driver's side. The ones i had in were 7.575" the ones I tried were 7.550" and 7.525". The ones that work are the 7.525" but I kept pass side the 7.575" I cant figure out why if the heads are suppose to match why the differences? But anyway now they all hold compression and are all within 1 to 2 psi of 180. So I guess I can't complain... Figured I'd give an update and my solution.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:43 PM

If you measure for pushrods what do you get? Those numbers seem high for stock lifters, stock head, stock rocker setup.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
If you measure for pushrods what do you get? Those numbers seem high for stock lifters, stock head, stock rocker setup.
they're ls7 lifter and prc 247 heads. When i measured I got the 7.575" but then I had to get a new head because the first one blew up on dyno and their was almost 5 years between castings. The machine shop now thinks that's the issue they may have casted it different or used longer valves.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

makes sense but why with the pushrods and rockers out does the valve move up when air is put in? Makes it seem like the valve is stuck open but its a new head and only 250 to 350 miles on it
So I decided to get smaller pushrods for the driver's side. The ones i had in were 7.575" the ones I tried were 7.550" and 7.525". The ones that work are the 7.525" but I kept pass side the 7.575" I cant figure out why if the heads are suppose to match why the differences? But anyway now they all hold compression and are all within 1 to 2 psi of 180. So I guess I can't complain... Figured I'd give an update and my solution.
How is a different length pushrod going to help if the valve was hanging open with no rocker or pushrod attached?
Old 12-11-2019, 05:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
How is a different length pushrod going to help if the valve was hanging open with no rocker or pushrod attached?
we thought it was hanging open but wasn't what gave us that illusion was the oring was bad on the compression tester and we though maybe a valve was hanging because what else could it be. After doing a leak down we ruled that out so I started to put Teflon tape on the compressor tester threads and bam now have compression so I had to do that every time I took it out and put it in.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I think it's either guessing or inexperience to come up with those numbers. Something wasn't done right and I doubt the problem is fixed.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I think it's either guessing or inexperience to come up with those numbers. Something wasn't done right and I doubt the problem is fixed.
i went by what the machine shop said I didn't actually measure anything myself. That's what he told me to put in. Hes been building engines for 50 yrs doubt it's inexperience but never know **** happens and the problem is fixed took it to dyno this am and not one issue with it. This time it actually was tunable. Now runs and drives great.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:51 AM

they're ls7 lifter and prc 247 heads. When i measured I got the 7.575" but then I had to get a new head because the first one blew up on dyno and their was almost 5 years between castings. The machine shop now thinks that's the issue they may have casted it different or used longer valves.
OK, but here is some perspective....

My old 346 build, the heads were aftermarket AFR castings with thicker decks, the lifters were solid, AND the base circle was shorter than yours is. My pushrods were 7.425". The only times I've ever seen longer than that were:

1. Short travel lifters were used, in which case pushrods ended up being 7.7" long
2. Tall deck block

Many of these aftermarket heads are lifetime castings. You may need to redo the valves, etc, but the castings are extremely good. Are you SURE it was a casting failure that caused it to blow up?
Old 12-11-2019, 10:52 AM

i went by what the machine shop said I didn't actually measure anything myself. That's what he told me to put in. Hes been building engines for 50 yrs doubt it's inexperience but never know **** happens and the problem is fixed took it to dyno this am and not one issue with it. This time it actually was tunable. Now runs and drives great.
Glad to hear it
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, so how are you measuring?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm so confused to everything I read. The banks switched from the beginning to the middle, valves moving when air pressure applied and with springs installed doesn't make sense. No matter who or what anyone says, you MUST measure your pushrod preload. Even the 3/4 to one full turn method (When done correctly) works. I've had to use different sized PR's due to install heights being different between the intake and exhaust but it was only a difference of .025".

The car runs fine which tells me something was way off with your method of doing a leakdown. Glad it's running though.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
I'm so confused to everything I read. The banks switched from the beginning to the middle, valves moving when air pressure applied and with springs installed doesn't make sense. No matter who or what anyone says, you MUST measure your pushrod preload. Even the 3/4 to one full turn method (When done correctly) works. I've had to use different sized PR's due to install heights being different between the intake and exhaust but it was only a difference of .025".

The car runs fine which tells me something was way off with your method of doing a leakdown. Glad it's running though.
i know it sounds odd but i had someone else try it and everything that happened to me happened to him. It sounds weird i know that's why i made the thread because nothing made much sense. Then again the tuner thinks the car is cursed because nothing made sense with this car lol. Whats reallt messed up is it made the same ammount of hp with this tune as it did with the bad tune and no compression in bank 1. Tell me the car isn't cursed...
Old 12-11-2019, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Methinks you should have someone else knowledgable look at it with a calm objective eye. You're too invested and flustered, and that's when you make mistakes checking stuff.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,306 Posts

.. What's really messed up is it made the same ammount of hp with this tune as it did with the bad tune and no compression in bank 1..
not possible if the car has compression now unless that bank still isn't getting spark or fuel. You don't make the same power with 4 cylinders as you so with 8. The engine isn't magical.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

I had the engine builder come to my house he looked and said everything is fine. Only thing we can think is the last tuner lied about numbers to make me happt. But now it starts right up and doesn't stall.

Quick Reply: No compression... But odd results.