Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L LQ9 Iron block swap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L LQ9 Iron block swap.

I recently had my oe 5.7 block swapped with a iron 6.0 lq9. I'm just curious If anyone else has done the same or can offer any info. Positive or negative. I didn't do the project myself. I spent a lot of money and got my AFR heads, Harlan sharp roller rockers swapped for stock parts with the hope's that I wouldn't notice. It's been a bad deal and I had to go vigilante and only got a third of my money back and none of my old parts back. Ill wrench on it myself from now on .......The car is a 01 Zo6.
80k miles
Borla exhaust
Lowered 2"
R.P.M level 7 automatic tranny
3400 yank stall
AFR 230 heads
Double springs
.592 lift
MSD plug wires
K&N filter
Tanks to anyone that reads this.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I mean, the LQ9 is very good engine and is arguably better than the LS6, but you also just gained about 100 lbs from the iron block. But what kind of info are you wanting from anyone here?? Did someone swap the whole engine out without you knowing, or did you ask for the LQ9 and then they just took the parts you bought for it?

P.S. I wouldn't run harland sharps in any car of mine. Heard too many iffy results. There are better brands. Stock rocker arms with trunnions will do just fine though.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTernes
I mean, the LQ9 is very good engine and is arguably better than the LS6, but you also just gained about 100 lbs from the iron block. But what kind of info are you wanting from anyone here?? Did someone swap the whole engine out without you knowing, or did you ask for the LQ9 and then they just took the parts you bought for it?

P.S. I wouldn't run harland sharps in any car of mine. Heard too many iffy results. There are better brands. Stock rocker arms with trunnions will do just fine though.
They took parts....... I've got a horrible rattle coming from the torque tube. How big of a job is it removing just tube? Does the engine absolutely have to come out the bottom or can it b pulled from topside?
Old 01-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't own a corvette, but from what I have seen from being underneath them, I see no reason you would need to pull the engine. The trans-axle and whole rear subframe assembly would probably need pulled though. Definitely not a job I would want to do by myself or on the ground, but I am sure it can be done.

Quick Reply: 6.0L LQ9 Iron block swap.