Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Bolt on combo finalizing and validation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 Bolt on combo finalizing and validation

I've been reading everything I can for weeks and things are barely any clearer. I now have more questions than when I started! Just looking for a sanity check here. I mostly purchased the car this way (in boxes) and I'm checking to see if there are any obvious changes I should make before I put it all together (while it's easy).

Basics:
  • Datsun 260Z, 2600-2700 pounds, disc brakes and adjustable coilovers on all corners, 3.70 LSD, great big tires (for a Datsun - 275 or 295 rear)
  • 1998 Camaro LS1, stock heads, LS6 intake, Jegs fuel rail, stock injectors, Elgin Sloppy Stage 2 cam, PAC 1218 springs, LS2 timing chain, Melling oil pump, no PS, no A/C
  • Holley Terminator X (I never had the stock harness or ECU)
  • 2015 Camaro ZL1 TR6060 and clutch assembly (slightly different gearing than standard T56 and likely way overkill for this project)
  • regular spirited driving on highway and back roads, Hot Rod Power Tour, random track days and/or autox (probably once and then I'll realize I'm in an unlimited class), but definitely no drag racing
  • #1 priority for all my cars is minimal frustration - no race gas, overheating, stuttering/stalling, constant tinkering, etc.
I realize that a bone stock LS1 is likely already more than capable and I'd prefer acceleration rather than wheelspin. The power curves on this cam kind of have me worried. Will it be ok for my needs? I have read about ASA (and Howard's version) and 224 cams being rather good for the kind of driving I plan/enjoy. Worth a change? I have access to a set of stock 243 heads. Would it make sense to install them (no porting)? I have several options for exhaust (which I haven't purchased) - long tube headers in 1 5/8" and 1 7/8", shorty headers in 1 5/8" and 1 3/4", and block huggers in 1 5/8" and 1 3/4". All will go to a single 3" (or possibly 3 1/4") tail pipe which I'll have custom made. All fit, but is one configuration better than the others?

Of course I'd like to do this without spending more money (especially unnecessarily) but I also only want to do this once. Can I stick it together and go?

Thanks,
Troy
Old 03-14-2020, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Well allrighty then...
Old 03-14-2020, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Troy, a stock ls1 in a chassis that light will be plenty of fun and any modifications listed above will amplify your enjoyment. To your specific questions...I would just run the Elgin cam you already have and the more exhaust the better. 1 7/8” longtubes to a 4” Y or duals would be nice. I’d have the 243 heads milled down some for a compression bump and run them. Looks like a fun lil project!
Old 03-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I was just thinking this morning that I should get some measurements on those long tubes. The companies who supply them also have motor mounts that sit higher and more forward than mine which gives more ground clearance. This car sits low! I'm contemplating the 1 3/4" shorties (Sanderson) for ground clearance - and maybe to help the bottom end torque numbers. The more I ponder the 243s the more I think it makes sense to install them any way. Several flow charts seem to support stock 243s as being on par with ported early LS1 heads (I have 853?). I'll need head gaskets (and intake gaskets?). Not sure about pushrods(?).

I'm sure this thing will be a ball of fun! I'm just hoping I don't die on the 2nd test run (1st will be just to see if it all works).

Troy
Old 03-14-2020, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,078 Likes on 2,397 Posts

If both the new and old heads are not milled, and you use .051 thickness head gaskets, the pushrods should stay the same length.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If both the new and old heads are not milled, and you use .051 thickness head gaskets, the pushrods should stay the same length.

Troy
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-14-2020)

Quick Reply: LS1 Bolt on combo finalizing and validation