Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX/RR cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stockA4
I'm a novice myself and I suggested op try the stock Cam to start his first track event and he's more likely to come back and try again but He's already made up his mind though. I don't know where he autox at but they won't let you drive your first time where I go you have to ride with a few vets first and they certainly would put you in a modified class with that much overlap but honestly what he wants, that's a way better all around cam spec than what he's got now so he's going to be happier with how it drives regardless of how he can drive it at autox
Track and autox are not the same.
SCCA autocross events do not require you ride.
As I pointed out earlier despite the increased cost of a higher revving engine the extended rev range possible with a more radical cam also allows deeper gearing.
The lower gearing and extended rev range results in more power to the wheels even giving up midrange power with the more radical cam.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:39 AM
Teching In

With most guys using a 200tw (or worse) tire nowadays power isn’t ‘that’ important

I’m shooting for 450 to the wheels on a fully optimized car on 15” wide non dot slicks. I just don’t need more than that. Even with the kind of car this is
Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it depends on where you run. Most regional events are in smaller parking lots. I probably don't hit over 5,000 RPM in those. But I also run CAM events or at UMI Motorsports Park and their I've bounced off the rev limiter at 6800 a couple times. That's really the only reason for my questions above. Didn't want the OP to sell himself short depending on where he runs he may need the car to pull in the upper RPM as well.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-16-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
I think it depends on where you run. Most regional events are in smaller parking lots. I probably don't hit over 5,000 RPM in those. But I also run CAM events or at UMI Motorsports Park and their I've bounced off the rev limiter at 6800 a couple times. That's really the only reason for my questions above. Didn't want the OP to sell himself short depending on where he runs he may need the car to pull in the upper RPM as well.
Thats fair enough. I know lots of folks autox in lots like that.
I alway try to get to bigger events.
G Atsma (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

for autocross you want a good flat torque curve...... the more you change gears the more time you waste.. so, wide torque band allows you to lug it down in gear but still have something up top. road course is RPM RPM RPM.....
G Atsma (05-16-2020)

Quick Reply: AutoX/RR cam