Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building motor for my tow rig. Need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68Formula
Better figure out displacement before you start looking at smaller chamber heads, as that plays a big factor into final compression ratio.
from the advise of several here and other forums, the smaller heads on the LQ4 will push the compression way up to almost needing race fuel. Especially if they do the flat top pistons. Additionally I saw where several had valve clearance issues as well. I’m sticking with stock 317 heads with better springs and stock valves as well as trunnion rockers.

thanks for the comment
Old 05-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
Long tube headers and a tune would be the main 2 things you could do to increase low speed torque. Unless you just wanna throw 5,000-8,000 dollars into a $3,000 - 4,000 truck to gain 60ftlbs of torque with a stroker kit.... just doesn’t seem very logical. Boost would be cheaper and give you far better results like mentioned earlier.
Man yes LTH and a tune will increase power. But your talking about 10hp maybe and I mean maybe 20hp to the crank if the stars and planets align. Plus if you go too big it pulls the band up the scale but go too small it restricts the engine.

i need to take the truck to the gym a few days a week Gains not yoga class Gains.

Second, it is more about reliable power Across the rpm range than just getting it done so skipping the internals makes no sense. I have seen Tuners go too far on stock internals and handed great numbers over but a hand grenade of an engine as well.

Yes this is a budget build in that I’m only going to spend so much but it does not mean doing things recklessly. I don’t know about you and everyone else on the forum but the wear surfaces, piston bores, and all other critical dimensions will be checked and machined to ensure I know where I’m starting and not just hoping I got a good one. Because of this throwing in a stroker kit would not be additional inconvenience. Plus I won’t have to worry about rebalancing like I would with just forged pistons and rods.

Last point, I don’t know where you are getting dollar figures. Long tube headers and a tune will be at least $1000 plus the rest of the exhaust work. If I did a cam and springs I’m at $1000 but will net much better gains. Plus $1000 for the pistons, rings, bearing kit, gasket set. Less than $1000 for the machine work and all other hardware and upgrade parts. I will be right around $3k in the motor that has the potential to handle big power if I ever decided to go that route And is essentially a new motor.

side note: I don’t plan on getting rid of the original motor. If I ever go to sell the truck I would take the “build” motor out, put stock back in, and save the good motor for the next project.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:49 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by COwens36
now we are talking lol. Do they make a root style blower I can stick out the hood for this motor lol.

i wouldnt want to add FI without better internals but I like where your head is at. Unfortunately, building the motor for boost puts it out of my price range.
LQ4 is from the factory a low compression engine with very strong internal. In other words, send it. I would not hesitate to run ten pounds boost. Cheapest way might just be to grab a LSA blower and some adapter plates. There are plenty of kits out there if you'd rather just talk to Eaton or magnusson.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure leaving the exhaust stock and slapping a stroker in is two steps forward one step back.

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali with a 6.0l and a 4l80e transmission and full tow package. I would lay out for certain what gear and transmission your truck has before any suggestions can be taken.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (05-11-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 293LSX
I'm pretty sure leaving the exhaust stock and slapping a stroker in is two steps forward one step back.

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali with a 6.0l and a 4l80e transmission and full tow package. I would lay out for certain what gear and transmission your truck has before any suggestions can be taken.
is your truck the XL? That is interesting about the 4l80e. I’m 99% sure mine is the 65 but I will go verify by the rpo code.

Just so everyone understands I’m not stupid. If I am pulling more air in the cylinder it will have to push more out thus a stroker kit would need an exhaust. The gentlemen was expressing that just a set of headers and a tune would be sufficient for what I needed. If I just swap to the flat top pistons then it would pull in 6.7cc less air but compress it much further and on the exhaust stroke it would have a higher pressure and will push out more of the exhaust so exhaust shouldn’t be needed especially if the valve is open longer with a cam. Don’t get me wrong adding the exhaust will benefit but the amount vs the cost doesn’t make it super important unless I stroke the truck.

i will go check the RPO and see what it says.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Teching In

is your truck the XL? That is interesting about the 4l80e. I’m 99% sure mine is the 65 but I will go verify by the rpo code.

Just so everyone understands I’m not stupid. If I am pulling more air in the cylinder it will have to push more out thus a stroker kit would need an exhaust. The gentlemen was expressing that just a set of headers and a tune would be sufficient for what I needed. If I just swap to the flat top pistons then it would pull in 6.7cc less air but compress it much further and on the exhaust stroke it would have a higher pressure and will push out more of the exhaust so exhaust shouldn’t be needed especially if the valve is open longer with a cam. Don’t get me wrong adding the exhaust will benefit but the amount vs the cost doesn’t make it super important unless I stroke the truck.

i will go check the RPO and see what it says.
My Denali has all the z codes for towing package, the G80 for the 3.73 gears, lq4 engine code and the m32 code for the 4l65e.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 447 Likes on 342 Posts

Man yes LTH and a tune will increase power. But your talking about 10hp maybe and I mean maybe 20hp to the crank if the stars and planets align. Plus if you go too big it pulls the band up the scale but go too small it restricts the engine.
Completely false, long tube headers will give gains across the entire RPM range and will actually gain more down low than up high in the rev range

BIG gains, and budget are never going to work well together... you will be over 3k just on the bottom end. Another 2-3k+ to finish it right (with stock heads and intake). Then you better hope your machine shop knows what there doing or you will have a very expensive time bomb on your hands....

The BIG gains on a budget will come from a LSA or turbo, but you better keep a spare trans on the shelf lol
Old 05-10-2020, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali with a 6.0l and a 4l80e transmission and full tow package.
I have never seen a Denali with a 80E
Old 05-10-2020, 06:00 PM
Teching In

I have never seen a Denali with a 80E
the xl 2500 denali I’m pretty sure had the 4l80e. I wish mine had the 80 but it is what it is.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Completely false, long tube headers will give gains across the entire RPM range and will actually gain more down low than up high in the rev range

BIG gains, and budget are never going to work well together... you will be over 3k just on the bottom end. Another 2-3k+ to finish it right (with stock heads and intake). Then you better hope your machine shop knows what there doing or you will have a very expensive time bomb on your hands....

The BIG gains on a budget will come from a LSA or turbo, but you better keep a spare trans on the shelf lol
ok can you send me some dyno sheets that show this? The ones I’ve seen matter of fact bumped power to a higher rev range and had 1-2 hp/tq gain up to about 4000rpm where it really started to show gains.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Yes mine is an XL. Pig on fuel but pulls like a champ.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes mine is an XL. Pig on fuel but pulls like a champ.
wait wait wait.... they made a Yukon XL 2500 DENALI???? I would LOVE to have one of those if that’s true but I have never seen one?? Sorry to get off topic
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 351 Likes on 240 Posts

ok can you send me some dyno sheets that show this? The ones I’ve seen matter of fact bumped power to a higher rev range and had 1-2 hp/tq gain up to about 4000rpm where it really started to show gains.
It might be that the results you saw were LTs that were on the larger side for what they were putting them on. If you properly size them for the desired rpm range and other engine specifics (displacement, camshaft, etc.) you can see significant gains even in the low range, that also carries up to peak HP.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/e...-long-headers/

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech...-hemi-headers/

https://www.hotrod.com/uploads/sites...ound%7C875:492

Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

wait wait wait.... they made a Yukon XL 2500 DENALI???? I would LOVE to have one of those if that’s true but I have never seen one?? Sorry to get off topic
Im pretty sure it is I'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow. I'll have to also snag an pic of the RPO to make sure it is what it is.
Ls7colorado (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most I have seen pickup 20-30ftlbs of torque down low, the peak may only rise 10-15ft lbs though as the air stars moving with more RPM it doesn't benefit as much from the scavenging
Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 209 Posts

the G80 for the 3.73 gears
G80 is the letter/number code for locking differential, GT4 is the designation for 3.73 gears...
Old 05-11-2020, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CattleAc
G80 is the letter/number code for locking differential, GT4 is the designation for 3.73 gears...
sorry you are correct. It has the G80 LSD, G69 AWD, and GT4 3.73.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 AM
Teching In

in 01 GMC made the Yukon xl 2500. It came with the LQ4, 4l80e, 3/4 ton suspension and 4.10 gears. The Denali package was more appearance and luxury than anything. Kind of like the Chevy burban 2500 with the 8.1l big block. Straight up unicorns but they exist.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

You mentioned low end torque... can you be more specific what your issue is when towing? Is it getting started, or is it being able to hold a speed going uphill?

What speed, gear, rpm are you turning now, and where do you want it to be?

You have a lot working against you, and some of your plans seem counter to what most would consider common sense, which is why you are getting a lot of varied response.

First, you are towing 8900 lbs... which is over the tow rating of the vehicle (8200lbs is the 2002 Yukon D rating). And in the mountains. And we are talking a truck from ~2000 (design wise, even if its a few years newer). I was towing a lot of car haulers (offroading pulling tall Jeeps with a lot of wind resistance) with friends thru the 90s-2010s. So I got to see a lot different combos. I'll say the people with LQ4s back then weren't terribly impressed in stock form with the trucks. In my opinion, there were big jumps in towing capability from the beginning of the 2000s to the end. I know my 2009 F150 5.4 6 speed auto easily out-towed my 2000 Ram 2500 (5.9). On several trips, with similar loads (7000lb trailers), my 6 speed F150 did a better job vs two friends with LQ4s in mid 2000s Chevys. They tended to need 3rd gear, where I could stay in OD. I would guess you need to be in 3rd or even 2nd gear depending on the grade.

This is also one of the issues with the 4L65e, there is a 30% drop between 3rd and 4th, which frustrates people towing. The 4L80e is only a 25% drop, for example. That *is* a lot of trailer for a 4L65e, and adding more power in front isn't a recipe for it to last. (I run a 4L65e behind a built LQ4 btw but I wouldn't want to tow like that with one).

If you are looking for more power off the line, don't overlook an improved towing torque converter with a higher STR. We used to use Hughes Tow-Master line in our off road Jeeps for the same benefit, a little more low end, without too much heat generation. I would definitely want a big cooler, no matter what.

Overall, the best thing you can do for towing is more cubes. I'd look for a budget stroker setup, that will help all over. You *will* need to do some retuning in any case to gain the full benefit of anything you do.

IMO, I would not spend extra money on any forged parts, just to have them. Not necessary for what you want to do.

If you are staying with a stock size engine, you are likely at your best cost/performance point to buy a decent used short block. These engines seem to be most reliable when left alone, and under 200k isn't much for them. So finding a lower miles bottom end, especially if you can get an 2004+ with the gen IV stronger rods is a good value.

If it was me, I'd look at one of these scenarios, in order of preference:

1) Bite the bullet, save, and get a better matched tow vehicle.

if not that:

2) Plan a budget conscious 408 Stroker. Cubes will make more torque throughout the range.

if not that:

3) Find a reasonable mileage short block or long block 6.0. To gain power throughout the range, I would do the following:
- Bump compression a little, like 10:1 or so, so if you can find an LQ9 bottom end, or 243/799 heads
- Have the heads CNCd, or at least good valve job. Good flowing heads with small port volume is usually a good thing across the powerband
- Long tube headers, good exhaust
- A Trailblazer SS intake manifold tends to make power everywhere, if you find one cheap as a complete takeoff. But you need to figure out your fuel rail/injector situation. I run this intake on my LQ4, and I can feel the difference compared to the early truck intake that I ran.
- Consider a better torque converter and transmission cooling.
- Consider 4.10 gears. They are available out there I believe as OEM and aftermarket, just have them installed, or learn how to do it yourself. Isn't it just a standard GM 8.25 front diff? Silverado SS AWD trucks came with 4.10s.

If you increase the cam, and it probably makes sense to investigate a tiny towing cam, gears and/or converter should always be considered at the same time.

I wouldn't spend time or money on any bottom end parts or machine work, unless it was a stroker. That would have been much more common on an older SBC or other older platform. These engines usually are just fine and most reliable when left alone.

Last edited by Haggar; 05-11-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Ls7colorado (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Haggar
You mentioned low end torque... can you be more specific what your issue is when towing? Is it getting started, or is it being able to hold a speed going uphill?

What speed, gear, rpm are you turning now, and where do you want it to be?

You have a lot working against you, and some of your plans seem counter to what most would consider common sense, which is why you are getting a lot of varied response.

First, you are towing 8900 lbs... which is over the tow rating of the vehicle (8200lbs is the 2002 Yukon D rating). And in the mountains. And we are talking a truck from ~2000 (design wise, even if its a few years newer). I was towing a lot of car haulers (offroading pulling tall Jeeps with a lot of wind resistance) with friends thru the 90s-2010s. So I got to see a lot different combos. I'll say the people with LQ4s back then weren't terribly impressed in stock form with the trucks. In my opinion, there were big jumps in towing capability from the beginning of the 2000s to the end. I know my 2009 F150 5.4 6 speed auto easily out-towed my 2000 Ram 2500 (5.9). On several trips, with similar loads (7000lb trailers), my 6 speed F150 did a better job vs two friends with LQ4s in mid 2000s Chevys. They tended to need 3rd gear, where I could stay in OD. I would guess you need to be in 3rd or even 2nd gear depending on the grade.

This is also one of the issues with the 4L65e, there is a 30% drop between 3rd and 4th, which frustrates people towing. The 4L80e is only a 25% drop, for example. That *is* a lot of trailer for a 4L65e, and adding more power in front isn't a recipe for it to last. (I run a 4L65e behind a built LQ4 btw but I wouldn't want to tow like that with one).

If you are looking for more power off the line, don't overlook an improved towing torque converter with a higher STR. We used to use Hughes Tow-Master line in our off road Jeeps for the same benefit, a little more low end, without too much heat generation. I would definitely want a big cooler, no matter what.

Overall, the best thing you can do for towing is more cubes. I'd look for a budget stroker setup, that will help all over. You *will* need to do some retuning in any case to gain the full benefit of anything you do.

IMO, I would not spend extra money on any forged parts, just to have them. Not necessary for what you want to do.

If you are staying with a stock size engine, you are likely at your best cost/performance point to buy a decent used short block. These engines seem to be most reliable when left alone, and under 200k isn't much for them. So finding a lower miles bottom end, especially if you can get an 2004+ with the gen IV stronger rods is a good value.

If it was me, I'd look at one of these scenarios, in order of preference:

1) Bite the bullet, save, and get a better matched tow vehicle.

if not that:

2) Plan a budget conscious 408 Stroker. Cubes will make more torque throughout the range.

if not that:

3) Find a reasonable mileage short block or long block 6.0. To gain power throughout the range, I would do the following:
- Bump compression a little, like 10:1 or so, so if you can find an LQ9 bottom end, or 243/799 heads
- Have the heads CNCd, or at least good valve job. Good flowing heads with small port volume is usually a good thing across the powerband
- Long tube headers, good exhaust
- A Trailblazer SS intake manifold tends to make power everywhere, if you find one cheap as a complete takeoff. But you need to figure out your fuel rail/injector situation. I run this intake on my LQ4, and I can feel the difference compared to the early truck intake that I ran.
- Consider a better torque converter and transmission cooling.
- Consider 4.10 gears. They are available out there I believe as OEM and aftermarket, just have them installed, or learn how to do it yourself. Isn't it just a standard GM 8.25 front diff? Silverado SS AWD trucks came with 4.10s.

If you increase the cam, and it probably makes sense to investigate a tiny towing cam, gears and/or converter should always be considered at the same time.

I wouldn't spend time or money on any bottom end parts or machine work, unless it was a stroker. That would have been much more common on an older SBC or other older platform. These engines usually are just fine and most reliable when left alone.
thank you for the helpful response.

i made another mistake in the information. The trailer fully loaded weighs 6900 not 8900. Don’t know what happened there.

when I pull the mountain the truck struggles to maintain even 55mph in 2nd gear at 5000rpm. I’m looking for torque between 3000 and 6000. If the truck had more torque In that range it would hopefully not struggle so bad pulling the grade or even it might not need to down shift and ring itself out. Only reason I would even think of building it or adding any power to the motor is to pull the mountain better. From a stop the truck pulls just fine even up a hill but it struggles at speed.

I forgot about the ss trucks. I may look into the gearing on those. If everything was available and easy to find then gears would be my first option but I have had a time trying to find gears for the front diff.

I have heard a lot of opinions and information regarding this topic. In the end, it sounds as if I would be waisting money doing anything to the motor in the truck. It also sounds like most are not confident enough in the setup to want to even tow with it. What scares me the most is how widely opinions and experiences vary on here. I’m an old school guy where I know for a fact what an engine could handle, how it would respond to mods, and how to “tune” it myself. I’m beginning to think I don’t even wanna mess with these LS things. I believe I may just go back to a good old BBC and build a monster or go back to the duramax. Either way would be easier than dealing with all this mess.

long story short, I’m just going to either find gears or stick 3/4 ton axle and diff under it. I know this will solve the issue as much as I will hate the side effects.

thanks everyone for their input.

Quick Reply: Building motor for my tow rig. Need HELP!!!