Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 questions for a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 questions for a rookie

Hey Guys,

A Little background I am planning a LS swap build for my 2005 G35 coupe for drifting but know very little about LS motors other than the parts and swap kits are plentiful and they can make great power. the over all goals will be 2 phases the first is building the engine and fitting it into the car than after im comfortable with it switching it to a single turbo setup. My research so far has pointed me to an LM7 5.3L and pairing it to the factory CD009 6 speed in my g35 (i've heard stories of them holding up to 1000whp so not to worried there and they are less than $2k new so not worried about that) what I do need some help with is info to build a LM7 to run roughly 400-500ish hp NA but be ready to hold 600-700hp on a single turbo. I have a background in metal fabrication so setting up external things like exhaust and intake and cooling etc isn't to much of a concern at this moment what I'm planning to do is grab a short block used and rebuild it myself, I'm willing to have as much machine work done as needed (i.e. boring, stroker whatevers needed) what should I be looking at for this sort of build in terms of parts? heads, cams, injectors, fuel pumps valves, springs, do I need to bore it? should I be strokering this? do I need to get the engine sleeved for this kind of thing?

Main points:

What heads should I be sourcing?

What size and or brands of cams should I be looking at?

what size and brands of injectors and fuel pumps should I be looking at?

what kind of valves, springs, rockers, and lifters would mate well with recommended cams?

what intakes should I be looking at?

Should I be boring or stroking this build?

will the block need to be sleeved for this type of build?

recommendations on Cranks, connecting rods and pistons?

any and all advice relating to this project is much appreciated feel free to chime in any and all relevant info even if I missed it above and thank you all so much for the help in advance!

Quick Reply: LM7 questions for a rookie