Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did my head bolt torque go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Where did my head bolt torque go?

OK, I did a port job on some 862 heads last summer. Had the heads milled, used Fel-pro Perma Torgue MLS gaskets and new TTY bolts. And did the watch the dial thingy.
I thread chased the bolt and used assemble lube under the head bolt heads.
I about busted my gut tightening the heads bolts hiding under the firewall. I saw that I needed to overhaul because of the cylinder taper and loose-knocking pistons but put that off until now. Maybe put on around 4000 miles.
So now I pulled the motor out and as I was removing the heads it felt strange as I was loosening the head bolts. So I got out the old beam type torque wrench.
Most of the bolts would crack around 40 lbs then go up to about 55 lbs for a 1/8 of a turn then loosened more from there.
Has any one else experienced this? The gaskets look good enough to re use, they still have the fire ring bump. But where did the torque go?
I did see where it was advisable to reuse TTY bolts as they hold more the second time around. But then you can find anything on the interweb.
I think they should rename them and call them SSSS bolts---Super Springy Stretchy Skinny Bolts.

Last edited by Metalchipper; 06-02-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Had to add another S--Super
Old 06-02-2020, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Once a TTY is tightened to yield, The next time they stretch easier in my fooling around with them. YMMV,
Used to take care of a lab that tested materials for strength, We had a machine that could stretch things in
micro-gram increments, when you stretch a piece of metal, it ends up at a specific tension, after it settles.
The settling is very predictable on the first stretch, and with each re-stretch it gets more erratic. Depending
on Alloy quality,, that makes re-use very erratic.

YMMV..
The following users liked this post:
Metalchipper (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

If using stock head bolts or stock style, i would not put lube under the head. If you remove the epoxy lock tite on the threads, you still would want to use a thread locker in them. Red preferred. Gel or liquid.
The following users liked this post:
Metalchipper (06-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Where did my head bolt torque go?