Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need some advise

Okay guys I’m looking for some advice. I have an 02 Camaro ss stock. I want to give it some extra bp. I want the hooker true dual exhaust, and I love how the tap 224/228 .600/.600 cam sounds, so if I were to get that cam should I upgrade my 241 heads or just upgrade springs. As far as the push rods and lifters should I replace them as well.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:05 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are many more qualified people here on this forum who could better answer your questions. i'll just give my input based on my personal experience. DON'T BUY A CAM JUST FOR THE SOUND!!! you said you want more power. build the car for more power then. there are a lot of variables that come into play when choosing a cam. i would suggest you call/email any of the reputable ls cam folks out there and they will be happy to point you in the right direction regarding which cam to install. based on your post history it looks like your SS is an m6. i also have an m6 car. we can't install a stall converter in our cars. so we can wind it up and slip the clutch or kind of plow through the bottom end of the rpms to get to the fun part (higher rpms) of the cam. both options aren't real easy on parts. or we can buy a cam that has power down low. which is what i would suggest. read the post "street cam choice" by pulse red currently on page two (about 6 from the top) of this forum. there is a lot of good information there. also your budget and mechanical capabilities can determine how much you actually do. personally i would want to only do it once. get knowledgeable input regarding cam choice, at least mill your heads and use some good thinner head gaskets, upgrade your valvetrain, (springs, pushrods, lifters) get a ls6 intake, or dorman ls2, LT headers. if you have the money, contact any of the reputable venders out there and do something with the heads. of course you'll need to get it tuned after everything. good luck!! and don't forget to update everyone on your car when its done!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

In order for us to help you with this question we need to know
1.) what is your budget
2.) stick or auto
3.) plans for the car ( track car, weekend / street raced car or daily driver)

With those things we could recommend you a nice setup and path to follow down
But based on what you have said so far, the true dual setup make sure to get 1 7/8 primary headers 3in collectors, I don't know what "tap" is did you mean TSP? texas speed makes quality products and excellent customer service but like I said in order to give you advice on everything you want to do we have to know your budget
Old 09-30-2020, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

That's the same cam I have. Mine has the 114 LSA. The 112 LSA might be a better choice if you plan to stay NA. I want to boost my car, so I chose the 114 LSA cam. Like others have said, we need to know your goals for this build before we can give sound advice. Let's be honest, that cam is not the best cam for anything. It's an ok cam for most builds, but not the best. It's the cam you pick when you don't know what you want. It's best to decide what you want, then start building.

With any cam upgrade, you need to change the valve springs. You don't have to swap heads, but you can make more power if you do. A set of ported 243's are always nice. While you're in this deep, you might as well change the lifters and push rods. Again, it's not a must, but it is better to upgrade parts before something breaks.
The following users liked this post:
pancho1 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Utinator
That's the same cam I have. Mine has the 114 LSA. The 112 LSA might be a better choice if you plan to stay NA. I want to boost my car, so I chose the 114 LSA cam. Like others have said, we need to know your goals for this build before we can give sound advice. Let's be honest, that cam is not the best cam for anything. It's an ok cam for most builds, but not the best. It's the cam you pick when you don't know what you want. It's best to decide what you want, then start building.

With any cam upgrade, you need to change the valve springs. You don't have to swap heads, but you can make more power if you do. A set of ported 243's are always nice. While you're in this deep, you might as well change the lifters and push rods. Again, it's not a must, but it is better to upgrade parts before something breaks.
Could not have said it any better than that!

Quick Reply: Need some advise