Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder wall damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder wall damage?

I recently bought a 5.3 truck engine and tore it down to the block. I gave it a little sit hot bath (55 gallon drum with some purple power and a propane burner under it.) let it soak a few hours took it out hosed it off and oiled it up to prevent flash rust right away. I didn’t inspect it extremely well before the hot bath but the walls have what appears to be blotching or stains of some sort. Thoughts?

They feel smooth but I can feel a very sloth difference with my finger.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine had light stains like that after I used a cleaner "Barkeepers Friend" on the deck surface and some dripped down into the cylinders.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

I’m more worried about your hone job. Slow your drill down and move it up and down faster. Make sure you use oil when you do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by WE TODD DID:
G Atsma (01-20-2021), Ls7colorado (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
I’m more worried about your hone job. Slow your drill down and move it up and down faster. Make sure you use oil when you do it.

I did use oil but maybe not enough. Thanks for the input. I'll give it another shot.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by mikekirik
I did use oil but maybe not enough. Thanks for the input. I'll give it another shot.
You want to generate a cross hatch look. Looks like a very coarse ballhone also.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, to get a crosshatch the drill should turn no more than 200-300 RPM. After you start it, push the hone in at a rate of about two-three seconds, meaning the duration time from starting at the top and/or returning from the bottom. When you reach the bottom immediately return the stoke. Keep this up for about 20 passes using the same stroke on each pass. Then check it to see if you are developing a crosshatch pattern. As you continue you will feel the stones start to track and follow a pattern. This is the crosshatch developing. Some motors need more passes, especially older motors with heavy glaze.

Normally black marks indicate scuffing, that is the aluminum build up on the cylinder wall. In a racing motor its called the black death. For you it may have come from the hot tank. The straight line is usually caused by a ring. It usually means the ring was cracked or the motor overheated and the ring swelled and scored the wall. If the line is not too deep, say no more than 2-3 thousandths, its OK.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Cylinder wall damage?