Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caming my ls1

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021 | 05:21 AM
Staging Lane

Default Caming my ls1

(boring stuff)
How’s it going everyone, I got a 98 z28 camaro, it’s fully stock other than suspension and a slp loudmouth system. My car had a nasty ticking noise that came after my brother high revs at cold start... I have a video of the noise in another post. Anyways I haven’t taken off the heads but assuming it’s my lifters, im gonna need a new cam. I’m selling a lt1 t-56 transmission for 1250 and I jus bought a 5.3 with 243s for 550.

QUESTIONS:
Long story short, I want to probably resurface my 243s becusse porting is too expensive of an option right now. I also want a nice choppy powerful cam to go with it lol. I’m assuming I’ll probably get my hands on a ls6 intake unless I get some “cheapish” aftermarket one instead. My 2 main questions are what is a great sounding powerful cam for an Ls1 and how much should I expect to pay to resurface and clean my 243s. I opened the valve covers on em and they are pretty weird lookin(also in another one of my post). My last question is how much would I expect for a tune and should I wait longer to buy injectors and other supporting mods? I also would greatly appreciated a rundown of stuff I need to rebuild my top end like gaskets,timing chain, and whatever else. I’ve only ever removed the intake manifold once for knock sensors. If anyone also has good write ups on how to cam and head swap that would be great. I might be dropping the k-member to make the job easier for me but let me know what y’all think. I have a v6 camaro that I got for dirt cheap also with 93k miles and a blown headgasket and I’ve taken our the kmember with motor, but never put it back lol. I can’t imagine it being too hard. Thanks for reading !!
Old 04-30-2021 | 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

You posted on 420 dude big mistake haha give me a minute I'll come up with something for you
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021 | 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

There's a lot to unpack here but basically you need to make sure the engine is sound first isolate the problem figure out what exactly is ticking then upgrade by replacing what is broken IE if you need new lifters get some nice replacement lifters camshaft? I would personally never recommend anything More than a LS6 spring compatible mid-range lift camshaft I mean I'm making over 400 wheel with one of those on stock heads and intake so I don't know what the big deal is with the higher lift it's not that much of a gain for less reliability and more guess work on the user. So just figure out what's broken first and then let us know because if you upgrade the cam then you need a tune then it's going to want to shift higher and then your transmission is going to be broken
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (04-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Caming my ls1