Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 TF Gen X 515hp kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 TF Gen X 515hp kit questions

Going for a heads and cam kit with supporting mods on a stock 2001 LS1 with ARH 1 3/4 full lengths.
I'm interested in the Trick Flow Gen X 215cc 515hp kit, but my big question is, on a 335hp Fbody, what realistic numbers are, and more importantly, what the powerband rpm is from?
I don't want to lose much on bottom end and have no use for a 7k rpm power cam as it wont see much strip action, but weekend street duty and some road courses.
I need it to have driveability vs big power, but research and reviews say this is a hard kit to beat.
Anyone with experience or owners with this install that I can talk to?
Thanks.

On a side note, I spoke with TSP and they suggest the Bald eagle cam on a 112, and their 5.3 2.5 head kit for overall happiness.
I'm just not too sure if its "big" enough where others could offer more with same desired driveability and livability.

Any advice is appreciated
Thank you

Last edited by Stringfellow; 06-12-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 475 Likes on 277 Posts

What is the reason TSP is suggesting the 5.3 heads? More compression? How much more? What would the compression ratio be with the Trick Flow heads?

The Trick Flow cam in that kit is 5 degrees of overlap, and the TSP cam is 8.5 degrees of overlap. If I was going to *daily* that car, I'd want less overlap than either of those. As a "weekend street duty" car, maybe you can tolerate the overlap of either cam. I'd pick the Trick Flow cam (of those two)... but I'm old, and intolerant of cars that are a pain to drive through a parking lot, even if only on the weekend.

*Whatever* you decide, make sure you get the compression ratio as high as you can, given the cam timing. So use a thin head gasket, and heads milled to reduce the chamber volume enough to get the compression where you want. The Trick flow cam, having slightly less overlap and lift, might make it easier to hit your target compression ratio without PTV issues. The TSP heads can be purchased with 58-63cc chambers, you'd have to pay extra to have your TFS heads milled down, the chambers start at 64cc.

That's my .02
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for your input.
I wasnt given a reason for that head choice suggested other than I asked for a good driving, stock powerband zone without touching rev limiter and keeping 3:42 gears package.
I dont want anything wild, as it's mainly the weekend street duty and corner Carver, but with an aggressive idle.
I'm old too, lol, so the little annoyances and parking lot, stop light manners need to be there as well, enough that I'm willing to sacrifice hp and high rpm storming.
I see TSP has the 220R cam and it's the only one listed with an expected powerband range, which is 1200-6200.
I'd like it to start to turn on and propel at least at 1800, as anything in the 2500-3000+ range is not realistically useable on the street or out of a hairpin corner.
Just being realistic for the car's uses.

Appreciate your help.
Here is my response email from TSP on their suggestions upon asking their recommendations of same questions regarding use for car.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

I have a BTR stage 2 cam with 4 degrees of overlap and it's pretty streetable with 3.42 gears and a M6. Summit has a 230ish cam with around 6 degrees of overlap that would be a decent street cam.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I have a BTR stage 2 cam with 4 degrees of overlap and it's pretty streetable with 3.42 gears and a M6. Summit has a 230ish cam with around 6 degrees of overlap that would be a decent street cam.
Thank you for your thoughts, I did have a look at BTR today as well and this stage 2 as it appears the 3 and 4 is too big for my needs.
That idle I gotta say is the most appeal of all my reviews, sounds quite exotic and more popcorn sound vs the others, but sound is least concernanable really.
Need to match the heads with cam, but with that, do you find this cam to surge anywhere or have power right off the bat to carry you smoothly to the peak under the 6200 line?

What Is your head setup?
Milled, CC, CR, CFM?

Thanks for your input on cam!

Would you choose differently if doing over?
Old 06-14-2021, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

You can have a stage 2 cam and get it to have more lope by tuning the over and under spark timing at idle

Quick Reply: LS1 TF Gen X 515hp kit questions