Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Summit Pro LS cams are here! Torkinators and T-6/Twin Turbo cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 10:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Summitracing
Saturn stage V Sum-8721R1 is pretty nasty even in something as big as a 427! Definitely a cam one needs to commit to. 8709 tame in comparison.
I didn't think the 8721 was crazy even in a 364ci, but I might be biased as I like high RPM power. Its fairly close to the BTR stage 4 LS7 cam that some people run in their daily C6Z's. I guess everyone's cam tolerance or mullet length is different

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Why don't you step up, buy a cam and run in one of your personal vehicles? Then you can then give some actual cam advice based on your first hand experience. Seems like a win win.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,231 Likes on 663 Posts

We are looking forward to working with G on his next cam. One of our guys has 8721 in his C5Z with an Ls7 based engine. Part of the issue folks need to be aware of the old 24x ecm’s don’t tune as well as the newer computers. Probably even worth it to convert to get the drivability right.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
G Atsma (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 323 Likes on 228 Posts

We are looking forward to working with G on his next cam. One of our guys has 8721 in his C5Z with an Ls7 based engine. Part of the issue folks need to be aware of the old 24x ecm’s don’t tune as well as the newer computers. Probably even worth it to convert to get the drivability right.
Can't you guys just throw the proper size drill bit in the box with the cam for us old school DBC guys?
G Atsma (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by stockA4
Can't you guys just throw the proper size drill bit in the box with the cam for us old school DBC guys?
lol, our customer’s do some crazy stuff sometimes and this would be asking for trouble

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
G Atsma (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
No worries, valid question.

With all these spiffy new cams, G Atsma has the perfect opportunity to finally step up to the plate and actually do an aftermarket cam after endlessly advising others on cam selection.

Basically, when giving mod advice on LS cams, I believe one should actually walk the walk and have/get some direct personal experience with an aftermarket LS cam in ones own vehicle(s).
Now majority of the information many of us have, senior techs or mods is from reading investigating through information and watching videos. It's hard to give a true sense of what you're doing if you do just one cam in a certain articular set up. Why I made the comment about the "deep pockets and the free cams for a plug."

To truly get a view of a cams performance, over a few different applications, you need to do a a side by side with other similar cams in let's say different engine sizes intakes power adders and so on. To include having a dyno availability at whim to conduct testing. Im.willing to bet that 98% of users here don't have this capability. Why people like Richard Holdener are followed and quoted so often. Guys like him don't go out and buy cams or intakes or dyno time. .They are provided a lot of merchandise and equipment so they can do these comparisons and do their plugs for certain companies or products.

Just my uneducated .02
The following 2 users liked this post by 02*C5:
G Atsma (01-10-2022), LCBE (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Good stuff 02*C5! You speak for many.
Some people are capable of and enjoy trying different parts in their car(s). I salute them!
Then there are others, such as myself, whose vehicles are in daily use and can't be down unless they break down or need preventative repair and/or maintenance. Our vehicles are not rolling test beds. The parts and mods I installed or had done were those that could be done within an hour or two. I did my own exhaust, clamped it together, then hustled to the muffler shop to put in a new catalytic converter and weld up my newly installed exhaust. My air intake took about 20 minutes.
Anyway, my soapbox is about to give it up under the weight, so I'll quit yammering now.
The following 2 users liked this post by G Atsma:
02*C5 (01-10-2022), rel3rd (01-10-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very excited about these new truck cams, especially the 8727R1. I think I have FINALLY found my cam, spent a long time debating over several options but not seeing anything with the appropriate short duration, LSA & lift I wanted until now. Hopefully someone will get a graph and a video review of this cam.

Thanks Summit for remembering those of us who want truck cams for pulling/hauling
G Atsma (01-14-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torkinator truck cam is just what I have been searching for!!

Last edited by Redrockit; 02-18-2022 at 08:42 AM. Reason: duplicate post!
Old 02-17-2022, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal comp.ratio for Torkinator?

Summit Racing Torkinator cams are just what I've been hoping for to pep up my LQ9 6.0L.

Planning to freshen up the engine this summer, and as the application is a "working" vehicle, the usual routine of "throw out the 317 heads and bolt on some compression" is not gonna happen.
The ports and valve sizes look to be adequate to provide plenty of flow, and I don't always have access to good fuel, so keeping the CR conservative is important. HOWEVER my pickup, 2006 GMC 1500, weighs a portly 5,600, and I'll be pulling a trailer of 3,500 lbs, plus whatever the family throws in the bed! The highways we travel tend to be hilly and lots of curves, so good midrange pull is required. Currently have 4.10 axle ratio on stock tire size, so that works in my favor for getting the RPMs into the power curve.

Leaning toward the 8728R1 "big" cam, but I am not very experienced at deciphering the most technical bits of valve timing. It looks like that is one of the key differences in these Torkinator cams.
Piston replacement is part of the plan, -flat-tops, but I hope to stay with OEM heads and avoid milling them or other unnecessary machine work. So, the concern is to protect or enhance the low-end grunt but gain a usable bit of power at typical cruising speed.
Too summarize,
6.0L with ~10:1 comp. ratio, in pickup towing (total) weight almost 10K lbs, 4.10 gear/stock tire size
should I stay with the smaller cam at that CR, or will the bigger cam's valve timing help build cylinder pressure, and preserve the lower RPM power?

Edit: New to the forum, long time lurker. There is an impressive amount of information here, thanks in advance to all that reply!
This may be a dupe posting, I may have fat fingered the keyboard on the first, it seems to have disappeared.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Redrockit
Summit Racing Torkinator cams are just what I've been hoping for to pep up my LQ9 6.0L.

Planning to freshen up the engine this summer, and as the application is a "working" vehicle, the usual routine of "throw out the 317 heads and bolt on some compression" is not gonna happen.
The ports and valve sizes look to be adequate to provide plenty of flow, and I don't always have access to good fuel, so keeping the CR conservative is important. HOWEVER my pickup, 2006 GMC 1500, weighs a portly 5,600, and I'll be pulling a trailer of 3,500 lbs, plus whatever the family throws in the bed! The highways we travel tend to be hilly and lots of curves, so good midrange pull is required. Currently have 4.10 axle ratio on stock tire size, so that works in my favor for getting the RPMs into the power curve.

Leaning toward the 8728R1 "big" cam, but I am not very experienced at deciphering the most technical bits of valve timing. It looks like that is one of the key differences in these Torkinator cams.
Piston replacement is part of the plan, -flat-tops, but I hope to stay with OEM heads and avoid milling them or other unnecessary machine work. So, the concern is to protect or enhance the low-end grunt but gain a usable bit of power at typical cruising speed.
Too summarize,
6.0L with ~10:1 comp. ratio, in pickup towing (total) weight almost 10K lbs, 4.10 gear/stock tire size
should I stay with the smaller cam at that CR, or will the bigger cam's valve timing help build cylinder pressure, and preserve the lower RPM power?

Edit: New to the forum, long time lurker. There is an impressive amount of information here, thanks in advance to all that reply!
This may be a dupe posting, I may have fat fingered the keyboard on the first, it seems to have disappeared.

Sorry for the delayed response. You've done some great research trying to find a camshaft for your combo and goals. We really like the Big Truck Torkinator SUM-8728R1 for what you're looking to do. It's sized right for your 6.0 and 4.10 gears. Its increased lift will increase power and torque throughout the range. The 33* intake valve closing (IVC) really helps for low-end grunt. It will make strong torque from 2,000 on up and pulls well to 6,500+ with our SUM-174004 .600" lift beehives. With the way the valve events are tailored, you can expect good on/off throttle response.

You'll need a custom tune to get everything dialed in and to take full advantage of the cam swap. At 10:1 with a good custom tune, you should be ok on 87. You'll want to pay attention to logs looking for knock especially when towing. The tuner may have to be conservative on the timing, but it’s not a good idea to constantly pull timing if static is too high. There may be a need for a 91 or better tune for towing and 87 for daily use. You could also keep a bottle or two of octane booster in the truck. In the event, you get into the hills and don't have access to good fuel you could use that to keep the engine happy.

You'll want some upgraded pushrods. We typically see a 7.400" or 7.425" pushrod used at this lift range. Things can vary so we always recommend measuring for pushrod length before purchasing pushrods. If you don't already have a pushrod length checker we offer the Trickflow TFS-9501. For pushrods, we recommend a minimum of a 5/16" Chromoly pushrod with a .080" wall. You can typically find a set of 16 for around $100. From there you can get into a thicker wall or larger diameter pushrod. For excellent stability and strength check out our 11/32" HDR pushrods with a .120" wall. These have 25% less stress and 28% less deflection than a typical 5/16" x .080" wall Chromoly pushrod.

We have a cam swap install kit to help make things easier. That is part number CMB-09-0029. This includes the timing cover gasket, water pump gaskets, oil pump o-rings, LS2 timing chain, valve cover gaskets, and harmonic balancer bolt.

Regarding the pistons. Your LQ9 already has flat-tops. We wouldn't worry about replacing the pistons unless you have excessive blow-by or oil consumption. If you needed pistons the Sealed Power replacement Hypereutectic SLP-H1129CPA would be a good candidate. Here are the oversize options that are available.

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance. We'll be happy to help!

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 03-04-2022, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got my popcorn and subscribed!

Hello Everyone!Im a longtime lurker and this thread got me to sign-up and subscribe. This is my first post!

Im interested in the Big Truck Torkinator for my LS Trans Am. She will have a turbo. This is my first turbo project and my first LS. All my experience is from a 1970 LT1 in my SS/RS Camaro. I had my mind set on the Truck Norris Cam until I read about these!

The 1981 Turbo Trans Am (white with red interior and graphics) will strictly be a street car. So I want useful power and the Torkinators sound like they will achieve that goal. Does anyone have experience or dyno information on these cams?
Old 03-04-2022, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Originally Posted by tdmaker
Hello Everyone!Im a longtime lurker and this thread got me to sign-up and subscribe. This is my first post!

Im interested in the Big Truck Torkinator for my LS Trans Am. She will have a turbo. This is my first turbo project and my first LS. All my experience is from a 1970 LT1 in my SS/RS Camaro. I had my mind set on the Truck Norris Cam until I read about these!

The 1981 Turbo Trans Am (white with red interior and graphics) will strictly be a street car. So I want useful power and the Torkinators sound like they will achieve that goal. Does anyone have experience or dyno information on these cams?
Welcome to LS1tech! Enjoy the info flood you can get here!
tdmaker (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Default Thank you!

Thank you and I appreciate the welcome!
G Atsma (03-04-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Welcome to the forum!

This sounds like a fun project you have going. We don't have any dyno numbers on the Big Truck Torkinator yet. We could see the Big Truck Torkinator being used for a turbo LS in an 81 Trans Am. There might be another option or two depending on what engine you have and other mods that are done or planned. Let us know more about the combo and specifics of the build. Maybe the Big Truck Torkinator is the ticket here. With more info, we'll be able to fine-tune a cam recommendation.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
tdmaker (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Hey Summit Racing!:

I've got a LM7 that will be punched out to a 5.7 plus:
a. 317 and 241 Heads
b. truck intake and sstb intake
c. turbo 400 and 480le transmissions

I hope to add the following:
a. Summit Turbo
b. Good Cam (Torkinator? Truck Norris?)

The main plans for this project is that it remain a civil street car. Back in the day my SS/RS Camaro proved to be a daily drag with the oversized cam in it. So my goals iare to have a motor that puts out good horsepower NA around 410-435hp and have street manners - good vacuum, good exhaust note out of the rear away from passengers, and live in the 1000-5500 range with the ability to rev higher when I put my foot in it. Ultimately I want this Turbo Trans Am to be fun for me and fun for the family when we are out cruising grabbing some Burgers and Milkshakes. I want the Turbo to boost the power level and not necessarily the camshaft. 650hp with low to moderate boost sounds good to me. I noticed Texas Speed has a cam very similar to the Large Truck Torkinator that is dynoed at 437hp and 418tq.

So will the large Torkinator be the solution or something else you have in mind? Like I said, I had my mind set on the Truck Norris cam but you all know how this hobby can keep you always looking for the next best thing.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I would think you would be better off with one of the single turbo cams. Looking it up, it looks like the Stage 1 N/A and Stage 1 Turbo Cam are the same part number...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
tdmaker (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool

Next up, our Stage 1-4 Turbo cams continue to rock. SUM-8720R1, SUM-8715R1, SUM-8706R1, SUM-8716R1 and SUM-8717R1. These cams are designed for Single T4 applications and we've limited overlap to 2 degrees. We are now at the point that T6's and Twins are more common and we've upped increased overlap to take advantage of better turbine flow. These cams start at 6 degrees overlap and end as large with 20 degrees of overlap for Big cubic inch 8000 rpm operation! These larger cams will work with 5.3's but torque converters will need to be in the 5000 rpm range. We expect these to be used in race cars with completely open front-exit exhaust.

We will be adding the -1 and -2 cam and spring kits soon so keep and eye out for those. We have a lot more in the pipeline for 2022 so it's going to be an exciting year!
Back in the day, many turbo applications kept overlap to a minimum due to back pressure ratios of 2:1 or greater. Things have change quite a bit. Due to newer turbine improvements, back pressure being closer to 1:1, it really wakes up a turbo in upper rpm range with increased overlap. Question I have is how does this relate to mid-range response?
tdmaker (03-07-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey Summit Racing!:

I've got a LM7 that will be punched out to a 5.7 plus:
a. 317 and 241 Heads
b. truck intake and sstb intake
c. turbo 400 and 480le transmissions

I hope to add the following:
a. Summit Turbo
b. Good Cam (Torkinator? Truck Norris?)

The main plans for this project is that it remain a civil street car. Back in the day my SS/RS Camaro proved to be a daily drag with the oversized cam in it. So my goals iare to have a motor that puts out good horsepower NA around 410-435hp and have street manners - good vacuum, good exhaust note out of the rear away from passengers, and live in the 1000-5500 range with the ability to rev higher when I put my foot in it. Ultimately I want this Turbo Trans Am to be fun for me and fun for the family when we are out cruising grabbing some Burgers and Milkshakes. I want the Turbo to boost the power level and not necessarily the camshaft. 650hp with low to moderate boost sounds good to me. I noticed Texas Speed has a cam very similar to the Large Truck Torkinator that is dynoed at 437hp and 418tq.

So will the large Torkinator be the solution or something else you have in mind? Like I said, I had my mind set on the Truck Norris cam but you all know how this hobby can keep you always looking for the next best thing.
Thanks for getting back to us with more info. With everything you've stated we would go with the Big Truck Torkinator SUM-8728R1. The 8728R1 will be strong and responsive in the 1,000-5,500 range that you'll spend a lot of time in. With our SUM-174004 .600" lift beehives it will be happy out to 6,500 when you want to put your foot in it. With its -1* IVO it will have a nice steady lope to it. The 8728R1 will have excellent driveability and be easy to take the family out for those burger and shake cruises.

For help with the cam swap check out our CMB-09-0029 camshaft installation kit. This includes the timing cover gasket, water pump gaskets, oil pump o-rings, LS2 timing chain, valve cover gaskets, and harmonic balancer bolt.

Regarding the heads, being a boosted application we would favor the 317's over the 241's. For the intake, we would go with the TBSS if space permits. It would be an improvement across the range over the LM7 intake. Then for the trans, we would go with the 4L80E for the sake of overdrive for those family cruises.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
tdmaker (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Default Great Info!

I’m so glad to get your response and it seems you nailed my objectives perfectly!
Summitracing (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by YOKED
Back in the day, many turbo applications kept overlap to a minimum due to back pressure ratios of 2:1 or greater. Things have change quite a bit. Due to newer turbine improvements, back pressure being closer to 1:1, it really wakes up a turbo in upper rpm range with increased overlap. Question I have is how does this relate to mid-range response?
At this point we are increasing overlap with T6 and twin applications, but the guy running a T4 is likely to be running 3” exhaust and usually not unrestricted front exit. There are some very good T4’s out there for class racing that are run basically open exhaust, but generally that’s a small minority. We’d say if you are able to log backpressure, then you are probably then able to consider one of our T6/twin cams because you are armed with facts about your system. If not, the ill effects of reversion may rear heir ugly head. As for midrange, the T4 cams are likely still best for 98% of people and that’s due to intake closing point and exhaust opening to a lesser extent being geared for street/strip apps. Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Summitracing:
68Formula (03-10-2022), tdmaker (03-09-2022)

Quick Reply: New Summit Pro LS cams are here! Torkinators and T-6/Twin Turbo cams