Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Oil pressure issue - loss over time

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022 | 07:09 PM
Teching In

Old 04-26-2022 | 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

sand the outer diameter of another cam bearing to reduce the O.D , use it to try and drive the walked bearing out to the rear?
Old 04-26-2022 | 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

How important is it for you to save the cam?

I'd commit violence on that cam bearing from the inside (use a square-ended carbide burr to cut a groove in it, and then chisel it out), but I don't know how much that cam is worth, or if it's even still good.

I've been in a similar situation before, but on an iron block; I just use a prybar to separate the cam from the bearing.
Old 04-26-2022 | 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by grinder11
I think he has better options than "run it until it blows!" If it was my engine, I'd be pulling it, and salvaging anything/everything I could. They do make undersize bearings. All depends on how much hacking the seller did, and where......
My comment was based on a cost/benefit theory that he could get a more or less good to go junkyard motor for less cost than the labor associated with fixing whatever is wrong with this one.
Old 04-26-2022 | 10:27 PM
Teching In

I ended up buying the cheapest aftermarket cam bearings I could find,and turned down one of the position 1/5 bearings to make a slip fit. Tapped it out towards the back, then cut the bearing and opened it up to remove from the cam. Because the bearing wore in at an angle, a ridge formed on the running surface that would not allow me the pass it over the cam, hence the cutting/opening up. Fortunately, the cam journals are fine. I'm in the process of measuring the cam bearing bores and so far they're withing factory tolerances.

On a side note - the cam bearings in positions 2, 3, and 4 were all positioned too far back in the bore. They were all such that the oil feed hole was exactly covered by the bore halfway. I seriously doubt they all walked backwards the exact same amount, so I'm chalking all this up to improper installation by the machine shop the previous owner used. :/
Old 04-26-2022 | 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man, nice timing and good catch before some real bad **** happened. How could an installer not notice they covered up the feed holes? wtf.

Quick Reply: LS6 Oil pressure issue - loss over time