Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a local forged LS6 - a few questions about engine value and compression ratio.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022 | 10:10 AM

Thumbs up Buying a local forged LS6 - a few questions about engine value and compression ratio.

Hi all,

New here but seeking some advice from those more knowledgeable than myself. I recently acquired a very inexpensive 2001 Corvette Z06 that hasn’t been on the road since 2009. The catch is it doesn’t have an engine, so I am currently pursuing one of many options as to what to put into.

My goal is to go the centrifugal supercharger route and wind up with 650-800 WHP range on pump gas (plus alky/meth injection as needed). I could obviously go the LS3 route, but being a bit of a purist part of me wants to stick with what would have come with the vehicle originally plus I also like the sound/character of the original LS6 vs LS3/LS7 (sounds more races/raw to my ear).

I found a guy selling a low mileage LS6 engine, probably built for an S10 for major boost by a previous owner that he acquired and removed from the truck. It developed what he thought was lifter tick so he took it apart and found it was indeed forged pistons, and supposedly has a balanced and blueprinted block done by ashopnway back when. Current owner bought West coast polished/ported 243 heads and re-assembled everything and for personal reasons has to part with it. This has been offered to me for $4,500 with the following parts known:

Probe Forged Pistons 14222-003
West Coast Stage 2 LS6 Heads
LS6 Block (balanced and blueprinted but don’t know from where).
Comp cam (see spec sheet attached).

My main question is: by my neophyte calculations with some gross assumptions about deck clearance taken from stock LS6 specs - it appears this engine would be around a 8.5:1 compression ratio? Is my calculation correct on there, and if so is that going to be a real dog off boost? Is this a good deal overall or should I pass?

I welcome any input and thank you!
Old 04-12-2022 | 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Honestly if boost is the end game, I'd skip the LS6 and get a L33 5.3

Buy a used LS6 that had a problem that's supposedly fixed for $4,500? Sounds sketchy to me unless you know the seller very well in real life. Can you, in person witness the engine running before buying?
The following users liked this post:
JagNL (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022 | 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nahhh, too many unknowns.
The following 2 users liked this post by theunderlord:
JagNL (04-12-2022), Old Buzzard (04-14-2022)
Old 04-12-2022 | 12:55 PM

I thought about a 5.3, but again the purist in me wants to stay within the realm of an engine that would have originally gone in the Corvette (although it is tempting and I may still change my mind).

Any thoughts on the lower compression? If it is indeed at 8.5:1 that would be much lower than I see people usually run. The gentleman selling ti has been very forthcoming with all items in regards to the engine, and I've spoken with him multiple times and he certainly doesn't set off any BS meters. However, I know that I am taking a chance if I buy it and it has issues. Was curious what the value of an engine would be like that if you knew and were comfortable with the seller.
Old 04-12-2022 | 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

If you already have it and are not savy when it comes to builds and components I would take it to a reputable performance engine shop in the area and have a once over done. I would invest a little more to have peace of mind. When it comes to FI it has come so far that you can reliably run 10:1 compression and push between 7-9 lbs of boost with the correct timing and fuel.
good luck

Quick Reply: Buying a local forged LS6 - a few questions about engine value and compression ratio.