Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 wh blowing smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 wh blowing smoke

hey everyone, i’ve got a 5.7L LS1 WH statesman, the cars got around 275,000km on the clock. when the car starts a large amount of blueish mostly white smoke comes out of the exhaust, when you accelerate hard or even just sitting in idle. it doesn’t always do it but it’s quite a substantial amount and it smells horrid. when you accelerate hard it also says i’ve got low oil. i have a few ideas what it may be, just wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem? thanks!
Old 05-22-2022, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Number of things to look for.

1) White smoke means coolant and usilally this means blown head gasket and coolant is making its way into the combustion chambers and into the crankcase which is very bad for bearings. (You will notice the oil looks milky almost like choclate milk if this is happening)

2.) Blue smoke means oil is getting into the combustion chambers and burning during ignition of air/fuel mixture. (You will notice oil deposits on the spark plug or plugs and this can be cause by several reasons. Poor PCV valve, worn valve stem seals, worn valves or seats and piston rings.

3.) Low oil pressure light is never a good sign and it might be time for an overhaul, however if it's the low oil level sensor then you might be low on oil.

During normal startup on cool mornings it is normal to see condensation or white steam coming from the exhaust and you will smell fuel but engine coolant does put off an awful odor so I'd investigate. Another sign of an issue with coolant getting into the combustion chamber is that you'll notice oil in the radiator.. Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
Pulse Red (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 06:51 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Everything 01Camaro said is spot-on. I’d pull spark plugs and see what they are telling you. Fuel usually smokes a dark brown-black color, but ethanol in the fuel will also make a white-ish to blue-ish color if excessive, out the tailpipe color of smoke.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Time for a refresh and new go fast parts!

Quick Reply: Ls1 wh blowing smoke