Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

I just stumbled across some of those heads as well, we were likely looking at the same pair lol. I decided against them as I just plan don't need them for my 2500HD tow pig. I did briefly consider them and tried doing some research. Didn't find any flow numbers or real dyno or track results. I doubt you find anything, unfortunately. I did see that pro-filer was started and designed by well known engine and head guru Darin Morgan. He definitely knows what he is doing but at the end of the day these are as cast heads. I wouldn't expect anything overly amazing from them. If you were looking at the same pair I was for I think $1,000 it's a fair deal but a bit of a gamble. If I were you, I would spend a few hundred more and go with a well known CNC factory casting. Texas Speed, Lingenfelter, and Total Engine Airflow (TEA) all offer cnc packages that wouldn't put you a whole lot more than the pro-filer heads but basically guaranteed results that would likely be better than the as cast heads.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,208 Likes on 654 Posts

@jc1285,

Thanks for sharing the update with the dyno graph and results. It's making about what we'd expect for a combo like this. As enthusiasts, we always want more. The pro-filer heads are good heads. Another good as cast head is the Trickflow 220cc as cast heads. These feature as cast ports with a CNC bowl blend. If the budget permits there is the 215cc fully CNC ported version.

@blackdak318 pointed out a great option of getting factory castings CNC ported by folks such as Total Engine Airflow (TEA). Their stage 2 CNC 243/799 heads produce some great results out of the factory casting.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
The following users liked this post:
blackdak318 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackdak318
I just stumbled across some of those heads as well, we were likely looking at the same pair lol. I decided against them as I just plan don't need them for my 2500HD tow pig. I did briefly consider them and tried doing some research. Didn't find any flow numbers or real dyno or track results. I doubt you find anything, unfortunately. I did see that pro-filer was started and designed by well known engine and head guru Darin Morgan. He definitely knows what he is doing but at the end of the day these are as cast heads. I wouldn't expect anything overly amazing from them. If you were looking at the same pair I was for I think $1,000 it's a fair deal but a bit of a gamble. If I were you, I would spend a few hundred more and go with a well known CNC factory casting. Texas Speed, Lingenfelter, and Total Engine Airflow (TEA) all offer cnc packages that wouldn't put you a whole lot more than the pro-filer heads but basically guaranteed results that would likely be better than the as cast heads.
You would be correct in that we are discussing the same set of heads. But, as of now, he already sold those heads so now it looks like I will probably see about sending mine off to Texas Speed since they are fairly close and I imagine would have a quick turn around time. I am also considering these from Wilkes Performance. https://www.wilkesperformance.net/pr...62-706-casting For $1410, I can get a CNC ported 862/706 pair of heads with 2.0/1.55 valves with 227cc intake runner and 84cc exhaust runner with a 62cc combustion chamber. Going this route I could avoid an extended down time period. Do you guys have any experience with Wilkes heads? Going to do some searching/researching and see what I come up with on them.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't have personal experience with the Wilkes heads but quite a few people use them and I think they are well regarded. I would have no issue using those personally and in fact almost bought a set of their CNC 799 heads used from someone on market place. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if you feel that is best.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:15 AM
Teching In

So another little update here. I stumbled across a set of TSP Stage 2.5 LS2/LS6 243/799 heads with about 1,000 miles on them with the TSP .660 Dual Valve Spring Kit for a good deal. Before getting them installed, I would like everyone's opinion on possibly having them milled down to keep my CR close to where it is now with the 706 heads that I have on now that were milled .010".
Old 03-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Another question here, maybe @Summitracing can help me out here. Does anybody offer a gasket kit that will include all gaskets necessary to replace my heads, along with say, a set of ARP head bolts? If so, that would be great.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Build