Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to identify what mains went with an iron vs aluminum block.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any way to identify what mains went with an iron vs aluminum block.

Have a Gen III 5.7 aluminum block and a Gen III iron 5.3 block that have been setting in my shed for about 10 years at this point. Kids, family, and kids college have gotten in the way of my fun. While everything is good and fogged with oil I have a feeling I mixed up the main caps. They are all together as in a proper set but I can’t recall if the set in the right side box was for the aluminum or iron block etc.

Any easy tells or am I gonna have to snug them up and run a dial bore in the bearing bores to figure out which is which?
Old 10-31-2022, 06:49 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Snug them up and measure is the only way of knowing. They will look identical most likely.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,004 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Snug them up and measure is the only way of knowing. They will look identical most likely.
I agree. If OP removes the bearing shells, then torques them down, he should find that the parting lines are VERY close if the correct cap is on the correct saddle. However, if they weren't marked/numbered front to rear, it will make things a lot more difficult. A dial bore gage would also be a great asset......

Quick Reply: Any way to identify what mains went with an iron vs aluminum block.