Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main and Cam Block Scoring

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main and Cam Block Scoring

First time working through some LS engines and I’ve either got horrible luck or there is a fix (maybe both). I’ve purchased 3 engines (2 complete, 1 short block) and 2 of the 3 have either scoring through the cam bearings and mains. I’m not finding a lot on repairs for the situation. I’m up in AK so I don’t have a limitless supply here and I hate to just toss the blocks. Is there a repair that is being done down in the states that I’m not seeing? All blocks are 5.3L gen3.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:54 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis C
First time working through some LS engines and I’ve either got horrible luck or there is a fix (maybe both). I’ve purchased 3 engines (2 complete, 1 short block) and 2 of the 3 have either scoring through the cam bearings and mains. I’m not finding a lot on repairs for the situation. I’m up in AK so I don’t have a limitless supply here and I hate to just toss the blocks. Is there a repair that is being done down in the states that I’m not seeing? All blocks are 5.3L gen3.
Post some pics please. Cam bearing wear in the LS platform is completely normal. Most Oem tear downs have cam bearings that are worn through Babbitt layer and into copper, especially front two bearings. Main bearings on the other hand typically wear very little because of the robust bottom end design and well designed crank (well designed for an OEM iron crank) that can handle some miles/power. What your describing with main bearing wear seems strange.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Post some pics please. Cam bearing wear in the LS platform is completely normal. Most Oem tear downs have cam bearings that are worn through Babbitt layer and into copper, especially front two bearings. Main bearings on the other hand typically wear very little because of the robust bottom end design and well designed crank (well designed for an OEM iron crank) that can handle some miles/power. What your describing with main bearing wear seems strange.
I’ll get pics tomorrow. The one block I just finished looks good minus corrosion on the cylinder walls that can be honed/bored out. I’ll post depths and pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Main and Cam Block Scoring