Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base C5 Corvette forged internals

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base C5 Corvette forged internals

Hello, I am looking into buying a (manual) c5 corvette around March of next year with the eventual plans of adding a Huron twin turbo kit. I plan on upgrading most of the drivetrain before purchasing the turbo kit to mitigate the risk of blowing it up immediately. I plan to buy a better clutch and upgrade the injectors and eventually save up and get a built RPM stage iv differential and transmission. The main question I had is about forging the engine. I have read that the major weak points of the LS1 are the pistons and rods around 500hp. I am looking into buying a forged rotating assembly and was wondering if going with a 383 stroker kit is worth it in a turbo application. I was also curious if I should worry about changing/doing anything with the stock LS1 heads. I've heard people love the Ls6 heads and aftermarket AFR heads but was wondering how important the heads are in a turbo setting. I would like to beat on the car a bit, but ultimately want to keep her on the road (would likely stay under 700 rwhp).

Tl;dr - I want a twin-turbo c5 vette. (<700 rwhp for primarily street/highway pulls)
1.) 383 Stroker kit or forged 347 rotating assembly?
2.) Are stock heads fine for this/what should be upgraded? Or what aftermarket heads would you recommend I look into?
I appreciate any and all feedback as you folks know a hell of a lot more than I do. Thanks, Krisjin.

Quick Reply: Base C5 Corvette forged internals