Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam specs for a 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam specs for a 5.3

I’m currently doing my first engine build for a swap. Motor is a 5.3 LM7 going into a 944. 862 heads, and I plan on boring it out to 3.898
My question is, what cam specs would be best for my application? Looking for a more linear power band with good top end power, and I’d like to get the most out of the cam since i’m sticking with NA. Any tips and advice are appreciated since i’m new to engine building
Old 11-25-2022, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 667 Likes on 462 Posts

Look at something from about 216 up to the low-mid 220s of intake duration, not too much more exh duration than the int (small or no split), and as much lift as your springs are comfortable with. For a light car like that you can use a relatively tight LSA like 110 - 112°. Should be able to use up to maybe .580" of lift with PAC1218 or similar springs. The smaller motor and smaller int valves will limit the usefulness of maxing out the lift esp with as-cast ports.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

We need a more information about your planned 944 goals before making suggestions.

How do you want to used the car: race, drift, drag, weekend, daily driver etc? What rpm range do you want the power? Rear gear ration? Tire size? Transmission? What sort of intake manifold, exhaust system, cylinder head work will you do etc?

Lot of details but helps with better suggestions.

To kick of discussion off will toss two possible cam's out to check out, one larger and one smaller.

For a sporty fun to driver weekend 944 with a 5/6 speed manual, I'd think about something like the well proven Summit Ghost Cam
Stage 1 Pro LS Ghost Cam.
222/234 115+3, .600/.575 Lift

It's made ~450 whp in an LS1 w/ported TEA S2 5.3 heads & Fast 102 intake manifold plus long tube headers but is still very driveable. That would be towards the larger end of cam's in a 5.3 without more information.

Old Man's Tame Daily Driver Cam aka Comp Cam's XFI RPM 216/220 .525 /.532 114 is very mild but makes good power. Perfect for putting around and getting groceries in town. Very capable of 400+ whp with LS6/TBSS manifold, ported heads and long tube headers in an LS1. That would be towards the small end of cam's in a 5.3 without more information.

Best wishes with project.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
We need a more information about your planned 944 goals before making suggestions.

How do you want to used the car: race, drift, drag, weekend, daily driver etc? What rpm range do you want the power? Rear gear ration? Tire size? Transmission? What sort of intake manifold, exhaust system, cylinder head work will you do etc?

Lot of details but helps with better suggestions.

To kick of discussion off will toss two possible cam's out to check out, one larger and one smaller.

For a sporty fun to driver weekend 944 with a 5/6 speed manual, I'd think about something like the well proven Summit Ghost Cam
Stage 1 Pro LS Ghost Cam.
222/234 115+3, .600/.575 Lift

It's made ~450 whp in an LS1 w/ported TEA S2 5.3 heads & Fast 102 intake manifold plus long tube headers but is still very driveable. That would be towards the larger end of cam's in a 5.3 without more information.

Old Man's Tame Daily Driver Cam aka Comp Cam's XFI RPM 216/220 .525 /.532 114 is very mild but makes good power. Perfect for putting around and getting groceries in town. Very capable of 400+ whp with LS6/TBSS manifold, ported heads and long tube headers in an LS1. That would be towards the small end of cam's in a 5.3 without more information.

Best wishes with project.
The car will just be a weekend ripper/canyon carver. Might take it to some roll racing events.

I’d like the power in the 4500-6000 RPM range, depending on how much RPM I can squeeze out of it safely.

Trans has a final drive ratio of 3.8. 305 tires in the rear

Most likely I’ll be going with an LSXR or similar intake manifold since those seem to fit best with the swap. Exhaust will be long tube headers, catless. Im going to port and mill the heads.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by LS944
The car will just be a weekend ripper/canyon carver. Might take it to some roll racing events.

I’d like the power in the 4500-6000 RPM range, depending on how much RPM I can squeeze out of it safely.
~7,000+ rpm with proper valve train, cam & lifter selection, under drive pulley, Mellings aftermarket oil pump. Improved Racing makes a nice crank scraper that can gain ~10 hp and help with oil control.

To help ensure a great parts match up, I'd call Cam Motion and discuss the build. I'm sure Cam Motion will have a more refined cam to suggest.

Cam Motion hotrod-ls-camshaft-227-237 is probably more in line with your goals than the other two cams I mentioned earlier.

Trans has a final drive ratio of 3.8. 305 tires in the rear
That's an excellent rear gear. Should be fun turning some rpm.

Most likely I’ll be going with an LSXR or similar intake manifold since those seem to fit best with the swap. Exhaust will be long tube headers, catless. Im going to port and mill the heads.
Excellent choice, depending on how far you want to push the high rpm a ported MSD might also be a candidate .
Old 11-25-2022, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
~7,000+ rpm with proper valve train, cam & lifter selection, under drive pulley, Mellings aftermarket oil pump. Improved Racing makes a nice crank scraper that can gain ~10 hp and help with oil control.

To help ensure a great parts match up, I'd call Cam Motion and discuss the build. I'm sure Cam Motion will have a more refined cam to suggest.

Cam Motion hotrod-ls-camshaft-227-237 is probably more in line with your goals than the other two cams I mentioned earlier.

That's an excellent rear gear. Should be fun turning some rpm.

Excellent choice, depending on how far you want to push the high rpm a ported MSD might also be a candidate .

7,000+ RPM would be awesome, just wasn’t sure if I could push it that far. I’ve looked at an MSD but i’d have to check for hood clearance on it. I’ll definitely give cam motion a call to nail down exactly what I need, but the power band for that cam is exactly what i’m looking for. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-30-2022, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 447 Likes on 342 Posts

that cam motion grind would be perfect, or a cheaper option would be the summit 8707R1 which is what I would run.

Quick Reply: Cam specs for a 5.3