Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters Junk or Just Breaking In?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Got my replacement lifters tonight. Summit customer service FTW.

For the guys that are running them...did you put the oil feed in any particular direction?
Old 01-08-2023, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Got the Summit replacement lifters in. Most look good but theres 2 with marks on the bodies. You can see the nicked area in the pictures. I covered it with marker and then rubbed it on a straight edge so you can tell its raised around the nick, which would have dug into the lifter wall. I wonder if this has something to do with the way Summit handles and packages them. They came in a carboard box (pictured). There is a divider but its pretty flimsy and the lifters really bounce around, leaves me to wonder how they come straight from Morel.

So after seeing the new ones and doing more research I'm leaning towards going with different lifter altogether but I'm not seeing many options that arent a "race" lifter. Whats everyone's recommendations for 799 heads, EPS cam .604 lift, cammotion duals 155lb seat psi / 400lb open psi, 6500 rpm max?

I would like something quiet and not something tight about preload. I was looking at the Luanti 72332 (which are Morel 5290 I believe) but heard they are very tight on preload tolerances, .030-.035. Plus, I dont like the tie bars and have seen some failures from them. Or maybe I should I just get another set of 7717's (from somewhere besides Summit). I've even been thinking about getting new springs in hopes of giving me more lifter options and possibly be quieter due to lower seat pressure, the duals are overkill but I like the safety of dual springs.

Last edited by Zac28; 01-08-2023 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,018 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac28
Thanks everyone for confirming what I was thinking. I'm going to call them back shortly....hopefully I get someone who's had a good nights sleep and enough coffee.

I checked the lifter bores with a telescoping gauge and came up with .8440 (give or take a thou or 2). With the Morel lifters being .8415-.8420 that gives me .0025-.0020. This is a little more than Morel wants (.0015-.0017). Do you guys think this is an issue? The stock ones measure right at .8422-.8420 (again, give or take a thou) and they didnt have any issues.

If you dont mind, what springs and lift cam, any chance you measured OD on lifter bodies? So many people have no issue with these and chances are slim you have my kind of luck. If it sounded good already you're probably in the clear. Just out of curiosity, did you get them from Summit?
Telescope gauges typically read .0005" larger than actual I.D.. I'd say you're actually at .8430"-.8435", FWIW. I worked as a Tool&Die maker for many years. Telescope gauges, while not terrible, were pretty low on the totem pole of accuracy. A dial bore gauge (which should be set up with Gage blocks to be dead nuts) would be #1, with an inside micrometer next on my list. Small hole gages are good. Plug gages, and go/no go gages are fine, too, but not great for out of round measurements. But I realize you gotta use what you have. Just trying to say I think you're in a bit better shape than you've measured.....

Last edited by grinder11; 01-08-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

I bought Summmit Racings Morel 7717 lifers ~ 8 months ago when I heard lifers were going to be going up in price.

My lifters came in a bag with some sort of heavy oil in it. WTF- LOL. I hope I don’t find any nicks or gouges in them

I’d call Summit back and change out those nicked lifters.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by grinder11
Telescope gauges typically read .0005" larger than actual I.D.. I'd day you're actually at .8430"-.8435", FWIW. I worked as a Tool&Die maker for many years. Telescope gauges, while not terrible, were pretty low on the totem pole of accuracy. A dial bore gauge (which should be set up with Gage blocks to be dead nuts) would be #1, with an inside micrometer next on my list. Small hole gages are good. Plug gages, and go/no go gages are fine, too, but not great for out of round measurements. But I realize you gotta use what you have. Just trying to say I think you're in a bit better shape than you've measured.....
Hopefully thats the case

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I bought Summmit Racings Morel 7717 lifers ~ 8 months ago when I heard lifers were going to be going up in price.

My lifters came in a bag with some sort of heavy oil in it. WTF- LOL. I hope I don’t find any nicks or gouges in them

I’d call Summit back and change out those nicked lifters.
Damn...so the cardboard packing is the step up..lol
I'm going to send them all back to Summit. If I get 7717's they will be from another company. I think Tick has them for $210, but at this point I'm wondering if I shouldn't be going with a better lifter altogether. I wish I could find something like the 5209's without the tie bar.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,018 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac28
Hopefully thats the case

Damn...so the cardboard packing is the step up..lol
I'm going to send them all back to Summit. If I get 7717's they will be from another company. I think Tick has them for $210, but at this point I'm wondering if I shouldn't be going with a better lifter altogether. I wish I could find something like the 5209's without the tie bar.
I got the LS7 lifters from Summit, thrown all together with some sort of rust preventative. I sent them back, and ordered from Jegs. They came the same way Summit lifters did. When I complained, both companies claimed they came from GM that way. Apparently, they were correct. Bullshit way to ship!!

Quick Reply: Lifters Junk or Just Breaking In?