Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 z71 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't have 8 of the flat top pistons. I have 7 because the l33 threw a rod and the piston and the block broke. So if I use it, what does imbalances do? I'm guessing it will shake and break the new stuff? Guess I will go look for a piston.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah you need to get a set of drop in pistons if the block didn't get bored and if the block is still good. The machine shop checked the crank but not the rods right? Did you measure any of the rods to see off they were off? I made it home to Aransas Pass I didn't think you were going to be tightening bolts so soon. What damage did it do elsewhere such as the head and bore?
Old 02-22-2023, 12:29 PM
Teching In

No damage to nothing else when I broke the piston, bore is good. I had my hand under to I caught it. I did find 2 pistons that's dish from a 05. I got 2 because they traded the flat tops for these 2. The pic with the weight 44.20 ounces is a piston from the lm7 just a different cylinder. I weighed the two new ones and took pics and the with is pretty close, the inky difference is the rods are pressed on the two new ones and the 7 from the lm7 is not and has snap rings. Will it be ok to use one of the new ones. Unfortunately buying a set of drop ins is not possible due to funds are an issue. I took pics of weights, tops and rod connectors. Which one will work the best?

Piston from other cylinder.

Piston from other cylinder

Other cylinder piston snap ring

New used piston #1

Used piston #1

New used piston #2

Used piston #2

Used piston pressed
Old 02-24-2023, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

These are some of the reasons it was recommended to leave the bottom end alone and just put it in the truck.

Hope it goes smoother from here on out.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey there man I made it back to Corpus had to go into the hospital apologize that I couldn't come give it a look. Too bad you don't have a 4.000 bore I have a whole set of rods and Pistons with 100k on them but in great shape
Old 03-16-2023, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 441 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Madrox
No damage to nothing else when I broke the piston, bore is good. I had my hand under to I caught it. I did find 2 pistons that's dish from a 05. I got 2 because they traded the flat tops for these 2. The pic with the weight 44.20 ounces is a piston from the lm7 just a different cylinder. I weighed the two new ones and took pics and the with is pretty close, the inky difference is the rods are pressed on the two new ones and the 7 from the lm7 is not and has snap rings. Will it be ok to use one of the new ones. Unfortunately buying a set of drop ins is not possible due to funds are an issue. I took pics of weights, tops and rod connectors. Which one will work the best?

Piston from other cylinder.

Piston from other cylinder

Other cylinder piston snap ring

New used piston #1

Used piston #1

New used piston #2

Used piston #2

Used piston pressed
You need to use the same type piston. You can not swap them. One is a pressed type pin and one is a floating pin with clips tor retain it. Running 1 different piston and rod combo will throw the compression ratio and the balance off.

If you are using the L33 rotating assembly, Stick with the flat top piston. You can buy a used one if money is tight. The block won't know the difference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35455223456...Bk9SR7qi1ozdYQ
Old 03-17-2023, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Well I put the motor in and it's running. Just have a few issues like on broke break line and an exaust leak. But for some reason nothing inside is working. The dash turns on but gauges won't work, windows don't roll smdown, ac button won't work, 4wd buttons do t work. Only thing that works is blinkers, blower dial, rpm gauge and radio will turn on but no sound. Kinda stumped on the electrical stuff. Imma do the brakes this week and the exhaust leak. Thank you all for the advise and when it started I was extremely happy to get my late brothers truck running and successfully built my first motor.

Quick Reply: 2005 z71 help