Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Large washer & tape sucked into intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large washer & tape sucked into intake manifold

In the midst of excitement to start my 2000 WS6 after installing my new Speed Engineering headers and True Duels, I didn't think the new orfice above the intake manifold via EGR delete would require a significant plug instead of the temporary, makeshift plug I had created using a ~1" washer sandwiched between two pieces of tape. Once I had started the engine it immediately revved to 4k (from my research I've found this is due to the EGR orfice being unplugged) and I heard a bit of jiggling coming from the engine bay, only to realize I've made a huge mistake - the makeshift plug I had made to block the EGR orfice is no where to be found and possibly sucked into the engine...

When I look through the TB into the intake, I see nothing but darkness. I even purchased a cheap, yet decent, borescope from Amazon to see if I could find it in there. Nothing. Dispite my frustrating negligence, I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar mistake? And if so, is it possible to fish out this foreign object without tearing the whole engine apart?
(Photo: my makeshift EGR plug on intake manifold before I had started engine)

Old 02-21-2023, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 141 Likes on 100 Posts

Pull the intake. It’s likely wedged in one of the runners.
you’d already know if it made it into a cylinder
The following users liked this post:
ScubaSteve725 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bthomas
Pull the intake. It’s likely wedged in one of the runners.
you’d already know if it made it into a cylinder
As said above you have to pull the intake and DON'T start it again until you do. If you're not seeing it with the borescope it's gone beyond the plenum and is in one of the runners Hopefully. Let us know how it turns out.
The following users liked this post:
ScubaSteve725 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,004 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve725
In the midst of excitement to start my 2000 WS6 after installing my new Speed Engineering headers and True Duels, I didn't think the new orfice above the intake manifold via EGR delete would require a significant plug instead of the temporary, makeshift plug I had created using a ~1" washer sandwiched between two pieces of tape. Once I had started the engine it immediately revved to 4k (from my research I've found this is due to the EGR orfice being unplugged) and I heard a bit of jiggling coming from the engine bay, only to realize I've made a huge mistake - the makeshift plug I had made to block the EGR orfice is no where to be found and possibly sucked into the engine...

When I look through the TB into the intake, I see nothing but darkness. I even purchased a cheap, yet decent, borescope from Amazon to see if I could find it in there. Nothing. Dispite my frustrating negligence, I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar mistake? And if so, is it possible to fish out this foreign object without tearing the whole engine apart?
(Photo: my makeshift EGR plug on intake manifold before I had started engine)
Man, that had to be one Helluva "ah ****" moment, for sure.

Quick Reply: Large washer & tape sucked into intake manifold