Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ls1 oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 98 ls1 oil pressure

hi, i got a 98 ls1 camaro with 95k miles. I rebuilt the shortblock after spinning a rod bearing at 93k miles and well. my oil pressure at operating temp is like 35-40 but doesnt go past 55 wot 5.5-6k rpm based on my stock gauge. It also likes to bounce down a bit when i floor it and go back up when i let off.... Its already better than before ..... It has a new stock oil pump. It is a melling m295.. I was wondering if that's fine or if yall think i should swap the oil pump out for something like a melling 10295 or 6 or should i wait till i cam it one day... Its fully stock right now because it was my first rebuilt and wanted to make sure it went well let alone i live in ca.... any help would be great.. I kno my oil preasure is okkkkayy but i would hate to prematurely wear my motor as i do drive it hard and drift it.. Thanks for any advice. Also is there any way to see the oil pressure digitally or would i have to install a mechanical gauge. The only reason i havent installed a mechanical gauge is ive been told it throws a cel. Thx for any help, im just hoping my gauge is inaccurate but ive seen other people have higher oil pressure with gauges and stock. Was just wondering what yall might think thx again smmh. forgot to mention i also replaced the oil pressure sender like 3 years back at like 89k miles ......

Last edited by Bakir Bakir; 04-04-2023 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 245 Posts

If you want to a mechanical gauge you could drill and tap the part that is right next to the oil filter. I believe its a cover if you don't have a oil cooler. Then add an aftermarket gauge. That's what I did on my 98 Wrangler LS6 swap. I didn't trust the stock Wrangler gauge.

Quick Reply: 98 ls1 oil pressure