Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horribly noisy top end!! Video attached

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horribly noisy top end!! Video attached

To start with, I put my phone right next to the headers and intake so the mic really makes it pronounced. With that said, it is really loud! Is it normal for a high lift cam?

I've owned the car/engine for 5 years and have always thought it was very loud, I guess I'm just now getting concerned. It also uses oil, but I beat the hell out of it and read LS1's use oil when abused? The engine was professionally built and has about 7K miles on it. Its mainly an around the town toy is why the miles are so low.

Oil analysis attached, but the engine is newer so it might not mean anything.
Video is too big so I have to link it to YouTube.

1966 Chevelle with a 2002 Camaro SS LS1 Engine
5.7 LS1
243 Heads
• 2.04 Intake Valves
• 1.575 Exhaust Valves
• CNC Ported
• 10.7:1 Compression Ratio
• ENGINE PRO 07-13702-16 CHEVY GM LS ROCKER ARM BRONZE BUSHING TRUNION KIT WITH BOLTS
HA2148 Roller Lifters
Engine PRO Push rods 581-7400 LS1 .083
2500300 Trick Flow® Track Max® Pacaloy Valve Spring and Retainer Kits
LS6 Intake
42 LB/HR PERFORMANCE FUEL INJECTORS
Wiseco Pro Tru Street Pistons PTS523A903 (10.7:1)
Custom grind cam .627 Lift in/ex
LT Headers
-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-11-2024, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST380
To start with, I put my phone right next to the headers and intake so the mic really makes it pronounced. With that said, it is really loud! Is it normal for a high lift cam?

I've owned the car/engine for 5 years and have always thought it was very loud, I guess I'm just now getting concerned. It also uses oil, but I beat the hell out of it and read LS1's use oil when abused? The engine was professionally built and has about 7K miles on it. Its mainly an around the town toy is why the miles are so low.

Oil analysis attached, but the engine is newer so it might not mean anything.
Video is too big so I have to link it to YouTube.

1966 Chevelle with a 2002 Camaro SS LS1 Engine
5.7 LS1
243 Heads
• 2.04 Intake Valves
• 1.575 Exhaust Valves
• CNC Ported
• 10.7:1 Compression Ratio
• ENGINE PRO 07-13702-16 CHEVY GM LS ROCKER ARM BRONZE BUSHING TRUNION KIT WITH BOLTS
HA2148 Roller Lifters
Engine PRO Push rods 581-7400 LS1 .083
2500300 Trick Flow® Track Max® Pacaloy Valve Spring and Retainer Kits
LS6 Intake
42 LB/HR PERFORMANCE FUEL INJECTORS
Wiseco Pro Tru Street Pistons PTS523A903 (10.7:1)
Custom grind cam .627 Lift in/ex
LT Headers
-
That does sound horrible. That kinda sounds like it's your rockers tapping away. Have you taken a valve cover off and started it up?? Are there any baffles inside your valve covers that could possibly be getting hit?? Also maybe get a hold of a stethoscope and while it's running to see if your fuel injectors are making that noise.

But seeing how it's both sides I doubt it's fuel injectors. I'd check the rockers without the covers on and see if it gets even louder.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

You've got a tapping sound coming from somewhere. I'd pull the valve cover and check for a loose rocker or bent pushrod.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you check these items when building the engine:
- piston to valve clearance, especially with cams over .600" lift
- pushrod length checked?
Never knew a parts company called Engine Pro existed, after a search found out that they're from the Netherlands.
https://www.wilminkperformance.com/en/contact
I just stick with parts that have been tried and tested, SRP, ARP, Melling, Comp to name a few from authorized distributors and Summit. The Ebay and Amazon s#*t is not worth it.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Valves can make quite a bit of noise as they're closing on the seats, especially through aftermarket headers but that sounds excessive and you'll need to pull the valve covers to inspect everything. Could have a clearance issue with the rocker arms and the valve covers which I doubt but it needs to be checked and pay attention to the rocker arms and their relationship with the spring retainers as the valves open and close as well as the bolts that fasten the rocker arm to the head. I read somewere that a guy had the allen style bolts making contact with the rocker arm during its travel so look for that as well. Another thing it could be is improper lifter preload. Make sure you have proper pushrod length and that your getting enough preload on the lifters. Good luck with it and hopefully you get it resolved soon.

Quick Reply: Horribly noisy top end!! Video attached